• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Lighted Sail Panel Modding GTG

pktwatch

SM 2012
SM 2011
SM 2010
SM 2009
SM 2008
SM 2007
SM 2006
SM 2004
SM 2003
Intimidatoruag (John) and I are talking about having a lighted sail panel modding GTG. He has done his and showed it off at the Kalamazoo Damon's GTG last weekend. He says he can help us do the mod as he now knows how easy it is
I could have the event at my house if you all want to. If we could find a place about 1/2 way between John and I that would be great also. I am in Central Indiana and he is in Toledo, Ohio. If there is a member around Fort Wayne, Indiana that would be willing to host the GTG please post in this thread. If we do not get a volunteer by March the 10th I will start planning it for here at our home.
We would like to have this done before the Paris Landing GTG that is to be held April 30 and May 1st. If there is a weekend that you can not make it and it is something that you really want to do, post in this thread so we can get a date scheduled. I have talked to John and both he and I are free just about every weekend. I want to start the mods around 11AM to 12 noon. We can then go out to a late lunch and a small cruise.
Again, I am willing to travel a little to get this mod done so if you are in the northern third of Indiana and have a garage that we could use, please post here!

THE DATE IS SET! March the 27 at HIGH NOON

we will begin the lighted sail panel screws modding. I can get 2 Avalanches in the garage and if needed one under a carport. We can be doing at least 3 at a time. Intimidatoruag and maybe Fireeater are coming, they have both done this mod and can help us. I figure that we can do all the Avalanches that come in 3 to 4 hours at the most.

After the mods we will cruise to a local Italian restaurant. This little place is famous for its fine pizza and super roast beef sandwiches. They also have a full fair of very good Italian food but the BEST PART.........................They have a empty lot next door that they said we can hang out in! We can hang around until dark if you wish so we can admire our new mods! Some of you were at my Central Indiana Modding GTG last fall so you know that I can show you a good time! ;D

To find my home, do a Mapquest search for Emporia, Indiana. It is just a crossroads town and the intersection that you are looking for is:

State Road 109 AND US Hwy. 36

I am the 5th house EAST of that intersection on the NORTH side of the road. It is very easy to find. If you are coming from the east OR west, just find US Hwy. 36 to my home. From the north or south take I-69 to the State Road 109 exit at Anderson Indiana and go south on 109 to US Hwy. 36 and turn left.

You can PM me and I will give you my phone number if you want it. This is going to be another FUN event! I do not have all of the goodies to give away like I did at the Central Indiana Modding GTG last fall, but it will be fun just the same! You will need to get the LED's and some wire etc. I will have a few sets from AutoZone that I can sell you for $5 a pair but pick them up yourself if you can, I don't have that many sets! Also SUPERBRIGHTLEDS Has both the 5MM and the 10MM LED bolts back in stock in red!

There will be NO DRINKING at this event so if you want to bring the family that will be fine. I found out a long time ago that working on anything with tools and drinking do not mix. We will be driving after the modding so we want everyonre to be safe! I do have a refrigerator out in the garage so feel free to bring sodas or water etc. You can bring snacks for the kids or whatever else you want to keep in the fridge.

If there is anything else that you want to do to your Avalanche while you are here, we will try to work it in but the sail panel lights will come first.

I am in the process of making 10 Swing 'N Loads. I am taking some to the Paris Landing GTG next month. If I have some of them done in time for this event, I can offer a special price if you get it installed while here, I sell them on my website for $389 and would offer to anyone coming to this event OR to the Paris Landing GTG the special price of $329. If you buy it here I will need to collect Indiana State Sales Tax of 6%. Try to let me know if you may want one, I only get a few coated with the bedliner at a time. If you want one uncoated, I guess I could sell it to you for $269 ( they charge me $60 a box to coat them) And then you could paint or powder coat to match your AV!

PLAN ON BEING HERE! YOU WANT THIS MOD!

MOTEL INFORMATION

The best palce to stay for this GTG may be:

MOTEL 8
Daleville/Anderson Area IN
15701 W. Commerce Rd.
I-69 Exit 34
Daleville , Indiana 47334
United States
765-378-0888

This will be very close to where we will eat lunch after the mods. I checked online and the rates are $46.88 for two double or a queen bed. I have never stayed there but it looks just like all of the rest of the Super 8's and the location is ok.

There are also many motels in Anderson, Indiana at exit 26. I thought if some of you wanted to stay overnight we may cruise to breakfast on Sun Morning like we did at the Central Indiana Modding GTG. If you stay at the Daleville Super 8 it is right on the way to Muncie where we will eat breakfast. Weather permitting, we could meet there and cruise to breakfast together.

Let me know if you will be staying and I can make plans for breakfast!

LIST OF MEMBERS ATTENDNG:

1. Z66 Butch
2. Intimidatoruag
3. musiks
4. The Mox
5. zrdan
6. Main One
7. RedRafter
8. TNAV
9. Mongo Ranger & Mongos Wife
10. Demandred
11. Stretch MFD
12. kewl_avalanche
13. spork_av
14. Smart_Av
15. yelotrk

MAYBE:

1. BassRyder2G
2. rvissers

Butch

Butch

Put me down as a likely attendee. All subject to change depending upon the specific date. Would we (the attendees) need to purchase anything prior to coming or will there be a supply of the necessary parts available??

The MOX
Greg

Mox, Check out the thread about the LIGHTED SAIL PANEL . You will need to bring your supplies with you. I picked up my lights at AutoZone yesterday. I had to go to two differant ones, it seems like they only stock a couple sets of each color. They are LED license plate bolts! Make sure that the LED is red. You will also need some wire and the splicer connections.

Butch

Butch,

Test all those lights out. I had to change out all 4 on the left side because the rights were brighter. Now I have 4 dim ones looking for another spot on the Av. Strobe got his from superbrightleds.com. All of his seemed to be equally bright. They were cheaper than mine from the auto store also. Plenty of time to order and receive them before the GTG. HTH

Fireeater

I need to get a date picked for this event. I want to do it on a Saturday starting around noon. Some of you who have said that they want to come need to let me know what dates you will or will not be available so I can choose the date. The choices as I see them are:

March 20

March 27

April 3

April 10

If you guys can PM me and let me know what dates you could make it, I will try to choose a date that will accommodate as many members as I can.

You will need to bring your own lights and supplies for this mod. I had to search 3 Autozone stores to get the lights. One set was not as bright as the others so now I need to exchange it. You need to get busy finding these LED lights.

Thanks, Butch

I just want to let everyone know that SUPERBRIGHTLEDS has the RED LED BOLTS back in stock, both in 5 and 10MM (Look down the page for the bolts) The way I read it looks like the bolts are the same size, just the LED is the 5 or the 10MM. The 10MM looks better to me, more of a fisheye effect so that is what I ordered. I have some sets from AutoZone here and will take them back if I like the ones form SuperBright better!

I am just waiting on a reply from one or two key people who are going to help us with these mods before I post the date.

Butch

I have the ones from autozone in my sail panels.

I wanted to mention that if you want to add pin switches to your boxes or the tailgate this would be the perfect time to do it. ;D You have everything torn apart that you need to tear apart for all three mods. check out http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?board=116;action=display;threadid=21683;start=msg341639#msg341639 and http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/fun_stuff/may2002/page005.html

I have the LED's in my sail panels but have not added the pin switches, and I have some cleanup on the LED's to do. I did a tempory install to see if I liked them.

OK THEN .... looks like 3/27 it is ....

rvissers ... if you can make it, LMK and maybe we can meet at 80/90 & 69 on the way to Butch's place .... then head down together ...

Sorry for the late reply Butch. I cannot make it down on the 27th. I'm working at the firehouse that Saturday. Hope evryone has fun. I would do one first so everyone can see how it is done, then do three at a time.

Fireeater

P.S. Make sure you have plenty of wire coat hangers-not the real thick ones though.

Is the 27th and location (Butch's House) firm? Looks like about a 3 hr drive for me, which will be OK I guess. Mark me down as probable.....I need to make sure there's nothing else going on with wife/kids.

Is everyone using the 10mm LEDs? Is there anything else I need to bring besides the LEDs? Do I need to pick up some extra wire? what gauge? I will bring my meter, 12vdc tester, electrical tape, heat shrink tubing, soldering iron, solder, and anything else I have here in the geek cave that might come in handy.

This should be fun.....

Bring a thin wire coat hanger and I'd bring 14 gauge wire. Some say that 18 gauge is ok, but since they are going in to be all tied together, I used 14 gauge. Bigger is better. Also, if you want to run it under the saddlebags and through the taillights, bring a #30 torx head and ratchet. Much, much cleaner. I did it the other way (through the saddlebags) but will change this out later. Much easier also.

zrdan said:
Is the 27th and location (Butch's House) firm? Looks like about a 3 hr drive for me, which will be OK I guess. Mark me down as probable.....I need to make sure there's nothing else going on with wife/kids.

Is everyone using the 10mm LEDs? Is there anything else I need to bring besides the LEDs? Do I need to pick up some extra wire? what gauge? I will bring my meter, 12vdc tester, electrical tape, heat shrink tubing, soldering iron, solder, and anything else I have here in the geek cave that might come in handy.

This should be fun.....

The date is firm. Bring any wire tools, stripper, connections that you have. Extra wire will be nice and like Fireeater said you will need some coat hangers.

Butch

Guys, I just want to make a suggestion that may help you with this mod. In the other post regarding the sail panel lights, members stated that the center panel should NOT be removed because they don't want to scrape off, then replace the double sided tape that attaches the panel to the roof of the truck. I have found that this mod is much easier if you remove the center panel to allow access to everything.

I used a product called Red Devil Zip-A-Way to get around the double sided tape issue. This product will allow you to reseal the area without scraping the tape away, simply caulk over it. This caulk is formulated to be removed with ease and works very well at sealing off the area. This product is used as a weather stripping for you home.

I used this product when doing my mod, then opened it back up a week later to check the seal, it was perfect.

Doing it this way will allow you to open the tops of the sail panels so you don't need to mess with a coat hanger.

Just be careful of the clips and make sure all of your lights are of the same brightness before buttoning everything back together.

http://www.reddevil.com/record_details.cfm?groupitemnumXref=42817&photo=0606.jpg

Fire,
The center panel that houses the brake light has double tape attached to it. This tape provides a seal between the roof and the panel. Maybe it's just on my 2004.....

Oh ok. thats for the brake light only version. Sorry King for doubting you. Wasn't sure what you were talking about. I ran mine to the rear and tapped into the wires back there. Sorry Bro!

I ordered and have received my 10MM LED Bolts from SuperBrights. I had also bought some 5MM ones from Autozone so now I can compare them. I wrote a review that you can read HERE. PLEASE discuss the LED's in that thread and keep this on topic just for the Lighted Sail Panel Modding GTG.

Butch

Back