• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Performance mods for the budget minded

NMAv

SM 2007
SM 2006
SM 2005
SM 2004
SM 2003
Assuming money is an object ....

I'm very interested in hearing information on what would be the top 3 - 5 mods I could do to increase performance on my 02 Av. So far I've done absolutely nothing.

You can remove the cladding for better aerodynamics and less weight >:D. LOL. Sorry, I had to throw that in >:D. Perhaps a K&N drop in filter or a homemade cold air. Mikesav.

It is mostly about air. Getting it in and out of the engine.
A moderate item price wise would be a performace exhaust, plus you get a cool sound (y)

The quickest and easiest performance mod you can make is a K&N Drop-In filter. It will give you a noticable increase in power from the first second it's used. It's not quite as much of an improvement as one of the complete air induction system replacements, but it's quick, easy, and will cost under $50.

Drop-in K&N + Home Made Cold Air IMHO is great, and will set you back very little. Then open up the exhaust some by just replacing the stock muffler with a Flowmaster or other similar alternative (I have the Flowmaster 70 series). Total spent on these two items is around $200 and you should get more power and better mpg (depends on the individual vehicle but I checked this weekend and over a 200 mile road trip running 70-75 mph I gained 2 mpg with these two mods alone). I've considered a PCM programmer but haven't yet decided for sure, that's probably the next best HP for the $. I'm no expert though, just going off what I've read out here from other members.

I've been tinkering with the notion of a giant rubber band.

Hear me out.....take a giant rubber band and wrap it around your rear tire and axle.

Next, spin your tires in reverse untill you hear ugly noises coming from your rear end or tranny.

Now, put it in drive and you are ready to race!

Patent Pending

I'll keep this "mod" and the cladding mod under consideration for now. I'm also seriously thinking about cutting very large wholes in the floor board on both the driver's side and the passenger's side so that we can do Fred Flintstone starts at stop lights.

KingVolcano said:
I've been tinkering with the notion of a giant rubber band.

Hear me out.....take a giant rubber band and wrap it around your rear tire and axle.

Next, spin your tires in reverse untill you hear ugly noises coming from your rear end or tranny.

Now, put it in drive and you are ready to race!

Patent Pending

If you want to go with a new cold air system, the UPD is probably the cheapest and the best one out there. that will set you back about $259. the drop in k&n alone will give you more hp. a new exhaust would be my second choice. the gibson extreme dual was my choice because of the price and it sounds good too.

Getting your engine to breath better is the first choice for increasing HP. I just installed dual Magnaflows on my 8.1L and what a difference. :eek: :eek: Next would be a drop in K & N for some added power. Lots of exhaust info with muffman posts. He knows what he is doing. He did mine.

(y) (y)Ed in Oregon

NMAv said:
Assuming money is an object ....

I'm very interested in hearing information on what would be the top 3 - 5 mods I could do to increase performance on my 02 Av. So far I've done absolutely nothing.

(1) K&N FIPK (Air Filter system)

(2) 3" True Dual exhaust (cut behind the cats) / Flowmasters

(3) Hypertech power programmer III

(4) Direct Hit Ignition system

(5) Throttle Body

(6) Headers

All this for the low price of about $2000.00...give or take.

GoBot

Thank you everyone for the input. I did the cladding mod last night. Works great. :eek: While I was at it I removed the fenders and the front clip - huge performance gains..... of course my truck now looks like doo doo. :C:

I'm not truckie-techie. Can someone tell me what this intake sensor mod does to add 17 hp to the engine? And who has tried this? I see a lot of these items on eBay (my second home).

Omega90 said:
I'm not truckie-techie. Can someone tell me what this intake sensor mod does to add 17 hp to the engine? And who has tried this? I see a lot of these items on eBay (my second home).

somewhere on here I read that it felt like you had a performance gain at first... but within a few days power felt worse then stock... and a new stock GM sensor was reinstalled... it may work on some vehicles... but not this one...

(also with programers... I have read alot of write ups by the automotive media.. and it sees that out of every 10 vehicles they test, (variaty of makes and models) only 1 will actually give you more power... some vehicles actualy loose power with a programer....)

OK, I'm working on the exhaust. I seen two schools of thought. Replace from the cat back and just replace the mufflers. Has anyone done both and have a opinion in terms of performance?

Ok, I've drop in a K&N filter and only noticed a diff in my power when it shifted into 2nd gear. The engine pull seem less bogged down. As far as any other power gain, I'm not sure, I put the K&N in on the second day I had it so I really can't tell, I'm sure there though.

But I am putting a FM 50, 3" in 3" out, keeping the stock pipes.
I've been reading about exhust now for over an hour. It seems that most everyone in into Dual out. Not many single out. I'm more inclined personally to keep my exhust where it is on the passanger side.
I've heard the 50's and that is load enough for me, I like it. I don't think the 70's would be loud enough.

So my goal by doing this is, #1 more power, #2 V8 sound and growl, #3 I think I will gain a little more MPG............

Lastly, I don't thing from what I have been reading that I am going to at least loss any power by not doing Duals.

I know I'm beating a dead horse here but what do you guys think???? :E:

Nick

Nick,

The best advise that I can give you is to hold off and go to a couple gtg's, locally we have members with magnaflow and flowmaster and I belive one member has gibson, if you go to a joint meet with Cali and AZ, you will see a variety of systems.

Ask members with systems you are considering to drive you around the block to see if the setup, sound wise is what you are looking for.

(I know a few members from Cali will be in Vegas at the end of the month for the state 2 state cruise....)

This was the advise I got from members on here, and I am glad I did...

Grey

Gray,
Didn't think of that. Thanks for the advise, I'll wait till I meet up with some of you guys.
Thanks,
Nick

nick...I am one who just changed the muffler and kept all the stock piping....I am quite happy and so is my wallet....hehehehe

good luck and do enjoy...

nickaz said:
Cool, what did you put on in replace of the stock muffler? Do you have a drop in K&N? Any change in power?

I have FM 40 and the procold intake which uses a KN cone filter....I also put sock on filter....

I do not know on power...but it sure does sound powerful now hehehe

Ya have to remember the AVy has a Torque managament feature to protect tranny and well....it is hard to put any Hp to wheels...because of this...IMO...

I mean it might be a bit quicker on interstate.....but from a dead stop....maybe a bit but hard to tell...as I have this on for so long now....

But again...it sure does sound powerful hehehe

good luck

Back