• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Buzzing vibration noise

Doug ZREX

Anybody experiencing a buzzing vibration noise coming from inside the dash. I'm pretty sure it is not the plastic dash cover or anything loose rattling around the glove box. It is easy to reproduce at about 1500 rpm in any gear, but it happens at other rpms as well. I searched and found something to do with the dash and how the ac/heat system comes thru the fire wall.

It sounds like a loose heat shield on the cat. converter, but I only hear the noise inside the cabin.

I've got a 2003 1500 4x4 with 24k miles. The noise only started within the last couple thousand miles.

Thanks

Doug

There is another thread of similar topic......it may help or may not...but had some good responses....

back a few pages......

Good luck

I have the same thing, it seems to be worse when its cold.

I was going to wait until spring and take it to the dealer.

have the same damn noise..when it is cold sounds like a rattle coming from around the glovebox area but I can't seem to find the rattle when I sit on the passenger side and have my friend drive.

Haven't taken my dash apart for anything it just started up one day. I did read in a TSB that there is a bolt in the engine compartment that needs a rubber boot put on it to stop vibration. Can't find the TSB anymore though on the NHTSB web site.

I hear the same noise only when my fan is on, its a low tone buzz sound that only happens at sertain RPM's of the fan. I do allso get a bad buzz in the cold comming from the air intake for the climate control above my head in the morning, it then goes away after 1 min or so.

Mine is worse when it's cold, but still evident after a couple hours at the wheel. I'm waiting to see if it goes away when the outside temps get above freezing, but a trip to the dealer seems imminent.

As far as "personal items" left in the Av, I've told my wife, if your gonna use em in my truck and I'm not there.........at least take pictures!!

I have the same noise in my 03, especially when it's cold outside. If I accelerate, it gets louder. It sounds like it is coming from the right front side of the truck, after the engine is warm it seems to go away. Very irritating!

When I accelerate (hard) I notice a vibration noise coming from the front right dash area but inside the engine compartment. I took a ride with a service tech and he said it was the muffler? He also said ?there wasn?t a fix yet? ???

I have been having the "buzzing" vibration noise for the last 50,000 miles. Sounded like coming from under the dash. Not all the time but enough to be perplexing. This same noise has been discussed in this forum many times over the past two years. Interestingly enough, a couple of weeks ago, I was doing my every 5000 mile front end lube and found that the best way to get to the 11th grease point was to remove the splash panel, (4 bolts) so that I could have better access to the Idler gear zerk fitting. Upon re installing the panel, I notive that as I bumped it, it would vibrate where it contacted the front cross member. Took a chance and inserted a foam strip to keep this from happening and haven't had the "under dash" noise since..Still holding my breath. Wouldn't it be amazing if this was the main culprit all along. Guys, check yours out...simple fix...

Hey Tommy D,

Speaking in laymans terms....how would I attempt this? I have no clue about anything you referred to in your post.

Pictures work best for me as I am woodworker....not a mechanic.

My 03 has had this problem since the day I drove it off the lot....dealers can never duplicate. Like everyone says....vibration from front right end while under load.

Any help for an auto challenged person like myself would be helpful. I'm willing to try anything...truck sounds like a big peice of crap when I accelerate.

Thanks

Regarding the buzzing noise from the dash. I finally took my Av in for the steering shaft clunking, and the dealer did the lube deal.

While it was there he also isolated the buzzing in the dashboard that was happening on light acceleration right around 1500 - 2000 rpm. It appears to be the instrument cluster and he said there is a service bulletin for the problem. Problem is he has to take the cluster out and send it to a GM repair center to be fixed, three to four days with out my wheels........... It gets better, I have 35600 miles on my Av and if I don't get it fixed before I hit 36k, they will not cover it.

Words to the wise........ Don't wait until the end of your warranty to get things fixed at the dealer.

Doug

I'm getting this vibration in the front passenger side.  It is only noticible under acceleration.

Has anybody found the source of this noise  ???  If so whats the fix  ???

Josh

I have had the same vibration sometimes...  I just turn up my system, then I don't hear it anymore!!!! :)

Josh-  Let me know if you want to enter in the event March 5th...  If you can't make it I have other dates as well...  I have been sponsored by Audiobahn so I have dates through 2005....  Some are quite a trip though 

turning the radio up gets rid of it but its not a fix.? It only does it under Acceleration.? And its begining to bother me.

Send me a link to the show info

Josh

http://www.audiobahninc.com/team/team.html

You will have to register to get information...

Here is a pic of my trophy...

Attachments

• 3pa.jpg
    3pa.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 120
Doug ZREX said:
Regarding the buzzing noise from the dash. ?I finally took my Av in for the steering shaft clunking, and the dealer did the lube deal.

While it was there he also isolated the buzzing in the dashboard that was happening on light acceleration right around 1500 - 2000 rpm. ?It appears to be the instrument cluster and he said there is a service bulletin for the problem. ?

Any one have the TSB on this?  I have the same issue.

Doug ZREX said:
Anybody experiencing a buzzing vibration noise coming from inside the dash. ?I'm pretty sure it is not the plastic dash cover or anything loose rattling around the glove box. ?It is easy to reproduce at about 1500 rpm in any gear, but it happens at other rpms as well. ?

Instruments - Noise From Instrument Cluster

Bulletin No.: 04-08-49-015

Date: May 04, 2004

TECHNICAL

Subject:
Noise Coming From Instrument Panel Cluster (Replace Instrument Panel Cluster)

Models:
2004 Buick Rainier
2002-2004 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT
2003-2004 Cadillac Escalade ESV
2002-2004 Chevrolet Avalanche, Impala, Monte Carlo, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe, TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer EXT
2003-2004 Chevrolet SSR
2002-2004 GMC Envoy, Envoy XL, Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL
2004 GMC Envoy XUV
2002-2004 Oldsmobile Bravada

Condition

Some customers may comment on a noise coming from the instrument panel cluster (IPC) while driving or on initial start-up during gauge reset. The noise changes in relationship to the tachometer movement.

Cause

The cause of this noise may be the tachometer stepper motor.

Correction

Replace the instrument cluster with an exchange unit through normal procedure. Upon initial request of the exchange part, be sure to mention the noise issue and request an exchange unit that has had the tachometer stepper motor replaced as a part of the previous remanufacturing process at the exchange center. Delphi has issued bulletin # 04-IDPD-01-IS-A effective February 23, 2004 to all exchange centers giving direction to replace tachometer stepper motors on those clusters which would not have had that replacement under normal process.

Warranty Information

Our 02 has had a fan type noise, high pitched behind the dash that is intermittent. The other day just sitting in it with the motor off, key on you could hear it cycle. Like a small cooling fan , for the computer?? Sounds like its behind the dash cluster maybe even to the left like the light switches.

Back