• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

very disapointed!!

thegrillboy

I am very disappointed with my av 2004 z71 i drove my friends ford expedition 5.4 liter stock 1999 and it is alot faster. What the heck is going on? Do i need those 4:10 gears or what? This really pissed me off. The z71 seams sluggish until power band whereas the expedition seemed to always have power. Any comments or suggestions..

Torque managament......is beg reason.....

GM did this to make Tranny and rear end last long time.....

Look into adding mods in this section....

HTH

I went from a 2000 V-10 Excursion 2WD to the 02 Z71, and there is a massive difference in the feel and head-back reaction in the Excursion (esp. v10 - new 6.0 diesel is nice too). But since the Ex. is so much heavier, I don't know that it's so much of a measureable speed issue as it is Torque Management taking a bite out of the "need for speed" feel. I will say that the Av is a much more nimble beast than the Ex. But, being from a firefighting background where bigger trucks make for more fun, I do sometimes miss by bright red Ex. :(

-DavidC166

Thegrillboy:

I too noticed same with my 02 Z-71. I added Hypertech, K&N FIPK and exhaust, WOW big difference. Still can't smoke 'em like on my old SS396, but I want a solid 4X4 versus street rod.
IMHO - these three mods really helped!

Enjoy your Z-71, it grows on you... big time.. so does the mod addiction.

Have heart grillboy.., follow along with some of the Mods here, and you/ll get what your looking for... You can start out with Air intake and Exhaust mods.., and do a Power Programmer...., this will get you smiling a bit more..., this may do it for you., if not there's a lot more power to be ringed out of the 5.3.., it will just start to cost a lot more......

Butch.

ygmn said:
Torque managament......is beg reason.....

GM did this to make Tranny and rear end last long time.....

Look into adding mods in this section....

HTH

YGMN, you beat me to it again. i would have said the samething.

thegrillboy said:
is there a way to elimante torque management

there is something called LS1 edit that, from what i have read, will eliminate TM. however, it is not simple to use. you must be very familiar with what you are doing. so many parameters can be changed on different things. get too far out of the acceted parameters, and bad things can happen.
here is a free TM mod for you. when taking off, rather than flooring it, let the vehicle reach approximately 15mph. once you have reached this speed, floor it! i think you will notice a difference.
btw, if you were to put the two trucks side by side i think the AV would eventually pull the Ford. and if the Ford were to loose traction from lack of TM, then we just got us a another win chalked up against the Blue Oval.

02-Z66 said:
there is something called LS1 edit that, from what i have read, will eliminate TM. however, it is not simple to use. you must be very familiar with what you are doing. so many parameters can be changed on different things. get too far out of the acceted parameters, and bad things can happen.
here is a free TM mod for you. when taking off, rather than flooring it, let the vehicle reach approximately 15mph. once you have reached this speed, floor it! i think you will notice a difference.
btw, if you were to put the two trucks side by side i think the AV would eventually pull the Ford. and if the Ford were to loose traction from lack of TM, then we just got us a another win chalked up against the Blue Oval.

I know on a 0 to 40 sprint in my Av versus a 5.9L Dakota crew cab -- I took the crew cab. I have the HPP III and not doing the 1-2 shift during the run up is what made the difference. His truck shifted and when that happened I got about a 1/2 vehicle length. Just a sprint between lights on a 35 MPH road - never left 1st gear until I ended WOT so I wasn't breakin' no stinkin' laws.

Chief said:
I know on a 0 to 40 sprint in my Av versus a 5.9L Dakota crew cab -- I took the crew cab. I have the HPP III and not doing the 1-2 shift during the run up is what made the difference. His truck shifted and when that happened I got about a 1/2 vehicle length. Just a sprint between lights on a 35 MPH road - never left 1st gear until I ended WOT so I wasn't breakin' no stinkin' laws.

Dodge trucks kinda suck. i guess i am just pi$$ed 'cause my wife likes them for some dumb reason. she would probably like mine if i let her drive it. >:D
btw, glad to hear you smoked it.

Hey Grillboy,
How many miles are on your 04?

I used to drive a 1999 Expedition with the 5.4. and my 04 Z-71 feels much faster especially in the past few weeks. Probably something to do with the colder air and getting the feel of the TM system. I also have 4.10 gears. Only performance mod so far is a drop in K&N. Im considering the cold air intake mod, that should help too.

Enjoy!

The Av ain't no dragster, but that's not why I bought it anyway. I have an Av because it gives me the most versatility. It excels in a lot of different categories, not just one. You might say it's the most well rounded truck out there. :B:

I agree with what some have said already. There are "mods" you can make that will make a difference.

For example, I modified my filter box so that more air would get into it and dropped a K&N filter into it. Made a world of difference. Probably one of the cheapest "mods" you can do right off the bat to "feel the difference."

Be warned, though! You will get "mod disease!" :eek:

(Modified filter box, K&N filter, amber DRL's, Silverstar Headlamps and fogs,---patriotic bowtie graphic, patriotic third brake light graphic, and domed patriotic decals for tailgate arrived and to be added soon).

Drooling now over a particular set of chrome wheels! :p

RLT

Hey Rltturn,

When you mentioned that you modified your existing air box, that caught my eye. What did you do to increase the air flow?

Thanks!

~bekind

midlifecrisis said:
The Av ain't no dragster, but that's not why I bought it anyway. I have an Av because it gives me the most versatility. It excels in a lot of different categories, not just one. You might say it's the most well rounded truck out there. :B:

i feel the same way. especially when i read about trying to get the truck in the 12's at the strip. to each his own. i think the truck is very versatile. there are many things it an do. i think draggin' is probably not one of them. if you guys want a fast 350ci get a Vette or Z28. but, it is cool to read about the mods that are done for speed, and power. i just do not think i would do them. and please ladies and gentleman, remember to upgrade brakes too. all i read about is how fast the truck goes after a new mod. do not forget you are pushing 6000lbs faster and faster. it will have to stop eventually. stock brakes will begin to let you down.

Doesnt matter the size of the beast, matters how you can handle the beast. Speed, power, etc are all necessities some feel are important. Doesnt matter the AV was designed a certain way, matters the feeling when you just pounded a 3500LB car and destroyed it by 8 car lengths....thats fun. Personally, its accomplishment, this is why I am going the route I am with the turbos, and I agree about the brake situation. DEFINITE UPGRADE when you pushing serious HP.

Mods to help out power:
Pro Cold Intake
JBA or SLP headers Ceramic Coated
Exhaust...Corsa or Magnaflow
SLP Rockers Full Kit
Diablo or
LS1EDIT if you KNOW how to use it or will learn on how to use it.
Electric Fans...Flexalite 282s or LS1 Fans
With these mods you will push 300 RWHP

You will be in the High 15s in the 1/4 mile. I know because I did it already.

Thanx and enjoy yourself!

jonboyNY said:
Doesnt matter the size of the beast, matters how you can handle the beast. Speed, power, etc are all necessities some feel are important. Doesnt matter the AV was designed a certain way, matters the feeling when you just pounded a 3500LB car and destroyed it by 8 car lengths....thats fun. Personally, its accomplishment, this is why I am going the route I am with the turbos, and I agree about the brake situation. DEFINITE UPGRADE when you pushing serious HP.

Mods to help out power:
Pro Cold Intake
JBA or SLP headers Ceramic Coated
Exhaust...Corsa or Magnaflow
SLP Rockers Full Kit
Diablo or
LS1EDIT if you KNOW how to use it or will learn on how to use it.
Electric Fans...Flexalite 282s or LS1 Fans
With these mods you will push 300 RWHP

You will be in the High 15s in the 1/4 mile. I know because I did it already.

Thanx and enjoy yourself!

good job JonBoyNY. what would you say the "dollar" to "hp" ratio is? just to give others with the same intention an idea of what they would spend. i may do the header thing myself.
btw, glad to see you supported me on the LS1 edit thing. i do not want to see anyone blow their AV up. that would suck.

Pro Cold Intake $260.00
JBA or SLP headers Ceramic Coated $650.00 roughly
Exhaust...Corsa or Magnaflow $375.00-$700
SLP Rockers Full Kit $800
Diablo or $400 roughly
LS1EDIT if you KNOW how to use it or will learn on how to use it. $800 roughly
Electric Fans...Flexalite 282s or LS1 Fans $250-$400

These prices exclude installation.

LS1EDIT is usually God when it comes to programmers. If you really want to be the sh@t! you can use TECH2 software that the dealers use, but thats very expensive and hard to get. Plus you really have to be tuning inclined or lack for better words a PRO.

Thanx.

As much as I hate to say it, after owning both a 2500 and a Z-71, Im not sure theres that big a difference in 0-60 times between the two. The 2500 had more immediate low end grunt but the midrange on the 1500 is quite nice! Both have 4.10 gears in the rear.

The 2500 beats out the Z-71 in overall stability at high speeds. Felt great cruising at 85 mph....smooth and planted. The Z71 is a little more nervous.

My humble $.02

I don't like fords so maybe I really didn't notice but I drove the 2004 Expadition NBX 4x4 and I thought it was DOG!! I floored it and and by the time I got to 40 I said no way.... However that tranny was the smoothest shifting tranny I've ever drove. I could hear the engine rpm drop but I couldn't feel the shift....... That felt weird...

i had a 99 navigator with the 5.4 and my AV is faster then it was and its the same thing as the ford

Back