• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Rear LED tail light strip

spidey

Going for my next upgrade, and have always liked the rear LED strip that is attached to the brake and turn signals.  I already have the 4 prong setup I mooded with my electrical, that I currently use with my LED Bully hitch step.

What brands does everyone recommend, and whats the install like.  Im thinking this is something I can tackle.

Also, what width do I need, 60" or 50"

I haven't seen many recent posts but there was many threads about LOF (Line of Fire) LED light strips used in the past. Many members had problems with water getting into the strips and shorting them out over time Some members sealed the ends with clear RTV or a similar product before installation to help prevent fogging condensation and burnout. Not sure if everyone had long term success though.
Other brand names have been tried with varying results. Many say try to avoid the import brands.
As a side note some states don't allow non approved lights being added so you may want to check your state and it's inspection laws.....

I belive mine is a Anzo from Orileys. I like it a lot the reverse lights are deffinitally worth it. Mine came with sticky pad hat held for a while but with mud and only goig to plastic days were numbered eventually I just unscrewed the sticky pads and screwed t to that plastic lip under he tailgate not it's wired in and works great! If u got the cash sequential ones run about $150. And after two year my bar is still all working good and j know it's been under water a time or two.

I bought the last one from oreileys here a couple years ago, it lasted a while but had a section go out after about a year and a half or so. Thanks for letting me know what brand it was Dakota  :laugh:
I noticed the other day my led tail lights turn signals aren't that noticeable so I have been thinking of going with amber turn signals on the rear now too.

Thanks for the replys, I have read that issues can arise with the shorting out, thats maybe why I havent done them.  But if I get a few years out of them, maybe worth it.

Not sure about the laws in Canada, and frankly I dont care :)  So far I have never been stopped for my Bully bar and the built in LED, and I see these lights on many trucks.  Does that make it legal, doubtful.

Also have to see what I can find locally, ordering anything from the US the way the exchange rate is isnt worth it right now

I bought one for my GF's truck that was a sealed LED strip. Was like $30 and was a fire and ice unit.. Looked great until one side lost its "marker" lights.. Since it plugs into the trailer plug it wasn't wired in. It was rolled up and uses 3m tape.

I might try getting her another one.. For $30 it was pretty cheap and easy to install.. Just used the tape to stick it on and plugged it into the trailer harness. To do reverse you have to tap into the reverse wire and my GF didn't want to cut into any wires.

Most get a LED circuit board that is mounted within a tube. Mine was an LED strip that had everything embedded in it and no way for water to get into it.

Rodney

Got mine from Summit Racing, I think it was around $45 and I just used a little "clear caulk" to seal the ends. No issues so far!

Found one at the local Canadian Tire for $45, a Bully name brand.  Its plugs into the 4 pin, so will try it out and see.  3M tape while great, always seems to eventually let go.  But does what I want, brake, left and right signal.  Now to just find a Y-splitter so I can use my Bully step with the LED at the same time

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/automotive/truck-accessories/truck-accessories/exterior-accessories/led-tailgate-brake-light-0342085p.html?utm_campaign=bazaarvoice&utm_medium=SearchVoice&utm_source=AskAndAnswer&utm_content=Default

EricB said:
Got mine from Summit Racing, I think it was around $45 and I just used a little "clear caulk" to seal the ends. No issues so far!

My first one didn't last too long. The second one used some caulk on the ends as well. Its lasted quite a bit longer.

Hey! Rigid just came out with these put a 50" under the tailgate and make it a legit backup light too!

http://www.rigidindustriesradiance.com/

lol Dakotawilk, I don't think you can use those like that... Might be nice to use like you guys are doing with the backlighting though... Yellow for the front, red for the rear...

Rodney

redheadedrod said:
lol Dakotawilk, I don't think you can use those like that... Might be nice to use like you guys are doing with the backlighting though... Yellow for the front, red for the rear...

Rodney
Maybe not turn signals but taillight brake light and anti tailgater I think it's a great idea ;) I'm in Montana and really curious if I can have forward facing blue lights. I would love todo blue!

I seriously doubt it. Blue light and red from front are generally emergency vehicles with blue being police only. Other states may allow blue lights on non police vehicles but I don't see them in Michigan so I am assuming blue is police only.

If someone here in Michigan is running anything other than amber/yellow/white up front or red/amber and maybe green in the rear you can be pulled over for an equipment violation. When displaying red from the front or blue from any direction on the road they might try ticketing you for impersonating an emergency responder. Not cool and certainly not worth it... Off road you can do anything...

Rodney

I have a really inconvenient favorite color for my passion.  Your probably right but I know in CO It was plastered everywhere in the laws and here I have actually yet to find a law on it and I remember seeing a car or two around town with blue lights but not worth it unless I know for sure is correct!

I know... My Kia is blue and I've been wanting to go with blue lights on it. I think I may how with green instead but the factory lighting is red  :E: and people on the Kia forum aren't near as smart as us... Their mods meet the limit of availability... If nobody makes and sells one then it can't be done there  :beating:

I have had two brands

I had a Streetglow OPTX Tail/Brake/Turn, and an ANZO tail,brake,turn,reverse.

The streetglow bar is going on 6 years old, and still works flawlessly. I did have to hard wire it after the original plug finally corroded up.

I had the streetglow installed on the 02 until we traded it, and when I went to install it on the 13, I realized the plug was too corroded to use. So I picked up the ANZO bar on sale. I really wanted the fire and ice.

The ANZO bar I had was junk, however... I bought the first one from O'Reilleys in July of 2014, coming home from Nationals. it lasted about a month, until the reverse function quit working.

I had it replaced under warranty, and the other bar lasted about a year, until it got moisture in the bar, even after I sealed the ends. Half of the bar doesn't work now, so I tossed it aside and reinstalled the Street Glow bar and hardwired it.

You can't go wrong with the streetglow in my experience. It is bright, and functions for what I need it to do!

Back