• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Upgrading rear suspension components

Cheapazz

I just ordered a new adjustable panhard bar for the rear axle from Spohn Performance, should be here soon. Looks like a good upgrade, no rubber bushings to fail. Ordered with the del-sphere ends so no excess movement. They also make the rear axle control arms, plan on upgrading those in the future also.
Thoughts?
With the Avy having 151K, I figure doing it now will save me the headache of waiting for a failure plus,I'm hoping after replacing all of the components, I will have less sway in the rear. A little more control in evasive maneuvers. She dances around a lot under heavy braking if in a corner.
80 mi round trip commute through a canyon on I80 with blind corners and surprises, like big rocks in the road, not to mention the crazy Cali drivers...LOL!

Anyway, if a couple folks wouldn't mind checking them out and giving me their thoughts, I would appreciate it. Gonna do Polly & sphere uppers and double sphere lowers.

Thanks!

If the bushings are worn it will definitely tighten things up. Also if you don't already have a rear sway bar get one and that will help even more.

For improvements you sound like you want to make I'd upgrade the sway bars long before the panhard bar, not to mention ditching the lift.

I kinda "need" the lift, I have to be able to get to work when there are adverse conditions. Sometimes 2-3 ft of snow, rock slides, mud slides, etc. I go to work when most people stay home or the interstate is closed, I'm the one of the folks who opens it. I do know my 7000 lb baby isn't ever gonna handle like a sportscar. I will deffinatly look into a swaybar, kinda over looked that. :rolleyes:.
I know, need is a strong word, but the small lift does help, kinda like having good work boots.
What is a good size swaybar?
Thanks for the input, the more brains the better. most times...

All the parts on mine are in my signature. I second sway bars but get both. On some vehicles for some racing applications I have used either or and there are balance reasons behind it. But in these big long trucks you'll get the most out of the two together. I love my eibachs and picked them up cheap of eBay. Some say mine does handle like a sports car. But I'm a lot lower than yours. If yours is a 1st gen you may want to look into coilovers; Atomic has sold several kits to lifted trucks with great results.

Sway bars are where it's at. Definitely the best bang for the buck as far as noticeable performance go.
Here are mine, end links and part numbers are in the thread as well.
http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,144217.0.html
Regards of the cost, you won't be sorry you bought upgrades.

Eibachs are kinda spendy but $410 at Summit is reasonable, especially being able to drive across town and pick em up. Now the "saving" game begins....Haaa!
Forgot to ask, is it an upgrade for an '09 Z71? Front bar is 1 3/8". Seems beefy....what's that in mm's, like 33 or 34? Up to a 38 would definitely be an improvement!

image_zpsdfef736d.jpg

Found this old pic.

Cheapazz said:
Eibachs are kinda spendy but $410 at Summit is reasonable, especially being able to drive across town and pick em up. Now the "saving" game begins....Haaa!
Forgot to ask, is it an upgrade for an '09 Z71? Front bar is 1 3/8". Seems beefy....what's that in mm's, like 33 or 34? Up to a 38 would definitely be an improvement!
1 3/8" is 35mm. It's not just the size, it's the material as well. If you had them both in hand, you can clearly see and feel the difference between the stock units and the Eibachs. If you're looking to be a bit price conscious, look at Hellwig, many members have used them and been impressed with their performance.

I change the Panhard bar and notice the most change when driving long sweeping curve on the highway. Always felt like the rear was moving a little and changing my steering but that is gone. I didn't notice a change expect for the now squeaking bushings with the swaybar. Planned on the rear control arms but never did, maybe someday.

Yeah my panhard bar made a huge difference too. It really shined around Charlotte 80. around the turns is pretty smooth and controlled.

I figure, go big or don't go! Got a lil extra on my OT check sooo, off to Summit on Sunday for the Eibachs.
I installed the panhard bar this evening. VERY NICE PIECE! Well made, solid and tubular is always good. Great powdercoating and grease zerks on each end. No more rubber bushings! I'll get the swaybars in on monday and see how the big girl goes. Then...onto the rest of the rear parts.

Oh, I did look at Hellwigs as well but they aren't as big and I know how I can drive sometimes! HAAA! Figured I better get the best I can, while I can!

Thanks alot for the input, didn't even think of the swaybars. The wife....not as thankful. >:D

Cheapazz said:
I figure, go big or don't go! Got a lil extra on my OT check sooo, off to Summit on Sunday for the Eibachs.
I installed the panhard bar this evening. VERY NICE PIECE! Well made, solid and tubular is always good. Great powdercoating and grease zerks on each end. No more rubber bushings! I'll get the swaybars in on monday and see how the big girl goes. Then...onto the rest of the rear parts.

Oh, I did look at Hellwigs as well but they aren't as big and I know how I can drive sometimes! HAAA! Figured I better get the best I can, while I can!

Thanks alot for the input, didn't even think of the swaybars. The wife....not as thankful. >:D
Great to hear on the buy. Sorry bout the mad wife. Mine ends up hating every vehicle I own at some point.

What year is it again? If your in a 1st gen Avalanche check out my coilovers. http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,146139.0.html
Atomic (Richard) has sold brackets to lifted guys too.

WOW! First drive to work this morning with the new Spohn panhard bar. I always felt the Avy handled very well for a big, heavy vehicle but the difference from just the bar is amazing. Didn't realize how she swayed or "wagged" the rear end, especially coming out of a corner. I highly recommend this upgrade, especially for $165.
I drive I80 from Reno, NV to Truckee, CA for work, through a curvy canyon at 70 and she felt like a new truck. Run my tires at 50psi and the easiest translation is I felt like they were at 30psi untill now. I think it actually created more body roll so I can't wait to install the sway bars!
WOOHOO! +1 for Spohn! (y)

Though I may switch to a Spohn bar some day since I keep going lower, right now I have a QA-1 bar. QA-1 is the old Edlebrock bar when they sold the suspension division. It's not adjustable but for guys at stock height and most lifts (since they just relocate it) they can be found for about $100. 

SO... I have an 07 lowered 3" and 4"
I have yet to install the lowered rear shock replacement from JDM.
I have OEM front and rear sway bars w/107k miles on them. I did replace the front end links already.
After reading this I'm wondering IF this is a mod I need to add to list

tlrche67 said:
SO... I have an 07 lowered 3" and 4"
I have yet to install the lowered rear shock replacement from JDM.
I have OEM front and rear sway bars w/107k miles on them. I did replace the front end links already.
After reading this I'm wondering IF this is a mod I need to add to list
I would def. suggest it, as well as the shock drop bracket. There is varied opinion on weather or not the shock drop bracket is necessary, but w/ a 4" drop you have dramatically changed the geometry of the system. I'm only down 2 1/2" in the rear and felt like it was binding up a bit w/ the reduced angle, not to mention the change in stroke length.  They're relatively cheap and simple to install. They seem like a low cost addition to avoid possible damage/shortening the life of new suspension components  in my opinion

I agree on both.
My truck had sway bars. I think most do. But the larger stiffer bars made a huge difference.

As for the shocks. If you use a stock length shock, yes get the brackets. They will bottom out with that difference in hight. Personally I'd be looking at better shocks. Seems the ones from the drop kit companies are very similar if not the same types as what the lift kit guys sell, crap. I'm running a Bilstein 5100 in the rear and looking for even better. I look at it like what I tried to tell people when I was a car stereo installer; I never bought speakers or amps from head unit manufactures and never the other way around either. The technology is different I buy what they excelle in and that's it. Someone who makes a living with bars and brackets doesn't nescasarilly make a great shock.     

I also did the Spohn upgrade on my rear suspension (upper and lower trailing arms, along with an adjustable panhard bar) along with a set (front and rear) of Eibach sway bars. I have a Rancho 4' lift kit along with 1.5" spring spacers in the rear and these components are awesome! Good luck with your mods!!

Finally installed the shock extenders and Belltech Street Performance shocks. ..and what a difference.
NO more bottoming out on the old shocks.

I have the complete Spohn offroad package on my 2011 Z71. I also added the Hellwig performance front and rear sway bars and those were a big improvement with my lift. I currently have the Rough Country 3.5" lift with Bilstein 5100 shocks all the way around. I suggest you get the Del-Sphere end adjusting tool and the complete bolt kit to install because the stock hardware does not fit with Spohn. I've had my system since June of 2014 and I had to adjust Del-sphere ends on three different occasions. If they are not adjusted they'll ride loose and all the sphere ends will clunk.

Thanks for the heads up, I plan on doing the rear upper and lowers as well. I will definitely get the tool.
Thanks again for the info! (y)

Back