• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Driver side window replacement

BadKarmaAlways

Well, been awhile since I made a post. Here's my problem...
Apparently someone decided to break both of windows on the driver's side. What I need help with is, where can I buy the glass? This is a DIY project. Not looking for a safelite type of business, just someone who will sell and ship the glass.
I looked up CarDoorGlass online, this company is out of business. Phone is disconnected.

Anyone else have any suggestions? Trying to avoid the dealership.

How about a salvage yard.

If you're willing to make a drive here to Atl, I have the glass and the know how to put it in. Shipping glass is asking for trouble.  (y)  :wave:

http://www.cardoorglass.com/Chevrolet-Avalanche-Door-Glass-Windows_c_206.html

there ya go!    Glass is shipped all the time, thats what the FRAGILE stickers are for, lol.

Didit

Just curious, didn't you have insurance on your AV? Shouldn't the insurance cover the cost of repairs? Getting it done by a company may cost a little more but would come with a warranty and no worries about glass breakage in shipping......
Good luck with the repairs.

Thanks, if I didn't stumble upon a place here in town, I'd take you up on that offer.

ronthehandymanga said:
If you're willing to make a drive here to Atl, I have the glass and the know how to put it in. Shipping glass is asking for trouble.  (y)   :wave:

I seen that as well on the web. After reading the 2 comments I could find, not good reviews. Plus calling their 800 number to find it's been disconnected, not a good sign. I stated that in my first post. But thanks for trying.

Didit said:
http://www.cardoorglass.com/Chevrolet-Avalanche-Door-Glass-Windows_c_206.html

there ya go!    Glass is shipped all the time, thats what the FRAGILE stickers are for, lol.

Didit

Yes, Avy is always insured. However, cost of deductible is higher than cost of windows. I found a company here locally that will replace and install for $272. So, Monday morning I'm off to go have it done.

Wanting to do it myself was to prevent spending more money I didn't have.

Vaeagleav said:
Just curious, didn't you have insurance on your AV? Shouldn't the insurance cover the cost of repairs? Getting it done by a company may cost a little more but would come with a warranty and no worries about glass breakage in shipping......
Good luck with the repairs.

Your glass should be covered under your comp coverage, $0 out of your pocket.

sorry missed that in the first post,

then why don't you just buy the glass from them and do it yourself!

you sure your not looking at your collision deductable?  most , but not all,  glass breakage is covered under a separate rider with no deductable.

I asked that as well, about purchasing them outright. $50 more to let them install it didn't seem that bad.

As far as insurance company goes, I already went several rounds with them. That's not an option anymore. I'll just be switching companies in 2 months.

Didit said:
sorry missed that in the first post,

then why don't you just buy the glass from them and do it yourself!

you sure your not looking at your collision deductable?   most , but not all,  glass breakage is covered under a separate rider with no deductable.

Door windows are probably cheaper to do yourself than to have the claim go on your record, there's no way to know for sure if it's not reflected in your rates at the next ins. company too.

I had a door window shot out with a BB gun in the '80s, my insurance agent told me it was covered but I'd probably pay $40 a year forever for the $250 repair which I could do myself for $35.

Jax-04-Z66 said:
Have yet to find salvage yard that has an Avalanche. Their hard to find here.

Front window glass should be the same as pickups, Suburbans and Tahoes of the same generation as your AV.  Rear window glass should be the same as Suburbans.

Back