• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Park Assist, Odd Problem

85fiero

Hello, the park assist on my 07 LTZ has me lost for ideas.

It had a bad sensor when I bought it, so I bought a sensor from amazon, replaced it, and it worked great for about a year and a half. This past summer, it started giving me the "service park assist" message in the DIC, only on days when the temp was above ~75 degrees. This fall, it stopped working completely and I got the service message each time I started the truck.

I bought another sensor, and plugged it into each connector, hoping to find the bad one that way. That didn't work. So, I bought a set of 4 sensors and replaced them all. That didn't work. I checked each wire from the connector under the pass. seat to the connector at the sensor, found no open or shorted wires. So I figured the only thing left was the module.

I bought a new module just after Christmas, but just got around to swapping it this past week. This is where it gets odd. Now, it's as though the system isn't even in the truck. No message, no light on the "off" button. The lights in the headliner don't even all light up for the "bulb check" when you first shift into reverse. I've tried every combination of old sensors/new sensors with the OLD module. I get the service park assist along with the light on the button lit up. Every time. But with the NEW module plugged in, nothing whatsoever.

Anyone have any ideas? Resistance values for sensors? Is there a way that I can test the module, to see if it's bad out of the box? At least with this new module, I don't have to clear the message from the DIC, but I hate that it doesn't work. I did like it when I had it. I feel that if it's there, it should work.

Thanks, long time reader, first time poster.

The new module may not be programmed for your truck.

Put the old module back in and get the codes scanned before you throw any more parts at it.

One question: do you have a trailer hitch mounted? The hitch may interfere with the sensors, causing that message at startup.

Aah, good point. I didn't think about programming. I'll do just that. A good friend of mine is a service writer at the local Honda dealer, I've been waiting for him to borrow a tech-II from the gm branch to do a couple other things. I get a really good deal on parts through him as well, so replacing the basics first doesn't hurt quite so bad. I don't have a camera, so I loved having the beeper when it worked.

No hitch. Always take it out as soon as I'm done using it. I know that will play havoc with the system, as well as leaving the tailgate down.

Back