• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

How to fix steering wheel buttons

spetch

I've had problems with the illuminated steering wheel buttons becoming inoperative for years. It's starts with them having to be pressed very hard in order to get them to work, and eventually they just don't work at all. I've opened them up and cleaned the rubber button contacts and metal contact traces a few times, but it doesn't last. I've determined that the main problem is that the internal rubber button pads lose conductivity over time, and they stop closing the circuit. There are expensive conductive paints you can buy to recoat them, but I wanted something easy. Here is my solution...

I find it necessary to remove the steering wheel to get the buttons out. Remove the steering wheel. It's not that scary, and it really only takes about 2 minutes once you know how to do it. Refer to other instructions for that. With the steering off and on your workbench, remove the rear plastic cover to give the button wiring harness some slack, so you can remove the button units. Pry out the broken button unit with a screwdriver. Don't worry, that rubber on the steering wheel is very flexible. Disconnect the harness from the button unit.

Pry the button enclosure apart and remove the tiny circuit board. Pull the rubber part off that has the button pads in it. Use a pink pencil eraser to clean up the metal pads on the circuit board.

The little black pads under the rubber button sheet are semiconductive carbon-impregnated rubber. They complete the circuit across the circuit board pad when pressed. Over time they lose their conductivity and fail to complete the circuit. We need to make this conductive again.

My solution is to use adhesive-backed copper tape. It's a thin copper tape that comes in rolls at the hardware store. You could probably also use adhesive-backed aluminum tape for ductwork repairs as well. Cut a tiny little circular piece the same size as the tiny black circular pad. Remove the backing and stick it onto the black pad. Press hard and make sure it sticks. It helps to use a magnifying glass and have small fingers. Get you kids to help. ?

Once you put it back together everything should work just fine. Sorry there are no pictures with this post.

I've replaced all of the buttons on my 2004 EXT and my brother's 2004 Avalanche.

I did not have to remove the steering wheel, just the air bag and a bracket behind the air bag to gain a little slack in the wires.

The two lower buttons are the most difficult only since they have the least amount of slack in the connecting wires.

I used my pocket knife to slide in and remove each switch from the hole in the steering wheel where they sit.

Whole process took maybe 15 minutes.

Replacement switches were purchased on eBay for about $80, if I remember correctly.

Replaced and done.

I too replaced all 4 of my steering wheel buttons.  It started off with one, then the other ones looked dingy, so I replaced them all.  I bought all 4 for about $75 on Amazon (with prime) by Dorman.  I didn't take off the steering wheel either.  Top 2 didn't take time at all.  Bottom 2 didn't have as much slack so I used pick to blindly put 'em in.  A real test in patience.... :E: 

I had already done the mod to change all my buttons to blue LEDs, so it was worth it to recondition the existing switches.

My lower two buttons have too little slack in the harness to get a hold of the wires and detach them, so I have to remove the steering wheel on mine.

Back