• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

TPMS help

tblt44

I am asking question for my 2006 Tahoe because all chevy the same, glad I don't have a TPMS on my avy.
I'm guessing my battery is dead in one tire sensor.
Anyone know if I replace it myself will the computer learn it ?
Is there a way I can program it without a TPMS program tool ?
I don't want to pay a tire shop $$$. To replace it, just got tires 6 months ago and paid that extra fee because I have these sensors.

You can buy what you need on E-bay, a lot cheaper than tire shop or dealer, then next time you have your tires rotated and balanced, have them put em in at that time. Some vehicles have the ability to relearn the TPMS others don't. When I did mine the tire shop was going to charge me for one what I bought four for on E-bay.  They will most likely program them for you for nothing.

Didit

I will be replacing it myself.
Breaking the bead not a problem done it many times to replace the old rubber style valve stems.

FWIW, the AV (Tahoe, Suburban, Yukon, Yukon XL...) does have the ability to learn the stupid TPMS. (I still can't believe they foisted that system on us!).

You may need a scan tool. I did this with my Jetta as I have a Volkswagen group tool.  For the AV, I put on new tires back in October. Costco put them in. A few weeks later the stupid TPMS died and I then took it to them to reprogram. Cost only $25.

Only certain years have that ability, the 13 does not, the tire shop I use, charged nothing to program them.

Didit

Back