• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

5100 vs 4600 bilstein shocks and 02 Z66 questions

2002mizzouav

All,

I'm currently going to pick up a used rear end from a 03 Z66 for my 02 Z66. Mine has been whining for months so it is time. I'm hoping the G80 in this is in good working order, otherwise I'll have to take it back for another unit at the yard. It only has 125k while my truck is at the 155k mark. While I'm at it, I plan on replacing a few other wear items. Shocks obviously one of them.

I have narrowed it down between the Bilstein 4600 or 5100. Most of my driving is highway. Occasionally I will go off road for hunting reasons. So which would be the best choice?

Also, I've replaced the front hubs and all four rotors and pads. Any other wear items anyone suggests while I'm at it?

The 4600's are what GM put on most trucks and SUV's with the "Off Road Package". The 5100's will give you a similar ride on the highway as the 4600's but will be a little better off road.. I would go with the 5100's..

Other parts that may need replacing on a 150,000 mile vehicle are, ball joints, tie rods, sway bar bushings and end links, idler arm control arm bushings etc., just about any or all front end components are going to be getting worn and may replacing.

I started collecting all the front end pieces about the same mileage as yours, I found deals on ebay, Craigslist and other sites and picked them up over time so it would not be as big of a hit to the wallet . At about 170,000 I had everything I needed and rebuilt the whole front end in two stages. I first replaced all of the steering components and then the control arms and hubs. I did this all when I was due for tires so it would all be new and would get a fresh alignment. It was like a new truck, steering was tight, no wandering, no vibrations, it made it a joy to drive and no regrets on keeping a high mileage vehicle, it now has 236,000 and still driving great..

Oh, and my 5100 Bilstein's have almost 200,000 on them...

Didn't 02 Z66 come with air shocks.

Have you thought about fixing the rear diff versus replacing it with a unknown axle. Usually it's just a pinion bearing.

02 Z66 and I think later years come with special LOAD LEVELING shocks that pretty much can only get from GM and are $$$.
These also are designed to provide the "PREMIUM ON ROAD" ride.

ygmn said:
02 Z66 and I think later years come with special LOAD LEVELING shocks that pretty much can only get from GM and are $$$.
These also are designed to provide the "PREMIUM ON ROAD" ride.

You're right. I had the 05 Avy with the Premium on Road feature... very smooth. It had a compressor that took a few miles of travel to tweak the system and adapt to road conditions.  (y)

So I just pulled the rear axle today. The shocks I pulled have no air compressor, so they must be the self adjusting. I'm awaiting my 5100 shocks!

Also decided to replace the dust shields as they were shot. Also order a flowmaster force II catback along with a host of other goodies!

Yes no compressor on any 2002-2006 AVY.

Bassman Z71 said:
Yes, you're correct about the air compressor... they use a hydraulic pump  ..what ever that is.
They use the SHOCK itself.
They are self leveling shocks so no wires or hoses or anything.

What I personally like is the 5100's because of the awesome off road capability they have compared to other series but still remain OE or better quality on the highway. Also the 5100 series is actually designed to be in a leveling kit up to 2.75" lift , most other shocks are just designed to be on the road in factory config. Also the factory equipment was Bilstien so dont choose anything else lol
                        Source - Parts Sales Guy @ O'Reilly Auto

Back