• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2004 Water Pump

jesse75

Have a random knocking or clicking noise. Becomes louder as the engine heats up. Some times it will get quiet again. Can a water pump make noise if its going bad? Around the time the noise started coolant started slowly dripping under the truck? Just want to make sure I don't have another issue beside the coolant dripping. The noise gets faster and slower as I throttle the engine.

It can but could be something else.
Pull belt off and check pump for play noise ect

I bet if you take the belt off you will find the fan blade is wobbling. If it's leaking the seal is bad and maybe the bearing inside.

BAD water pump would make noise all the time if it was so inclined tomake a noise like bad bearing.

Pull off the belt and start up the engine long enough to see if the noise is still there.  If it is, it is something in the engine.  If it isn't, it is something run by the belt - maybe the pump but maybe something else.  A mechanic's stethoscope may help to identify where the noise is coming from -can also use a long screwdriver.  Put the tip of the screwdriver on the pump and put your ear up to the end of the handle.

Back