• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Spark Plug Wires/Coils 2004 AV 5.3L

jesse75

2004 Avalanche 1500 2WD. 5.3L with 160K No tune up has ever been done.

Question I have...
Does the length of the spark plug wires matter when replacing? If the old wire is 10 inches, can you use 12 inches?
What type of wires do I need?
Should I also replace the coils as part of the tune up?
Any tips on getting old spark plug boots off?
Messing up the spark plug heat shields, should I buy new metal ones? or go with the mesh material ones?

From what I can tell I have the round coils. The Duralast Gold wires that say they are for round coils at Autozone are to short.

Not sure which NGKs wires to order, It says to go by the coil # which I haven't been able to find yet.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Be careful what wires you order.  I made the mistake of ordering wires from Rock Auto that were too short, not noticing a difference between round and square coils.  The wires ordered didn't mention the length, just that they were for the square coil.  The round coils take 9 inch wires and the square wires take 12 inch wires.  This looks to provide a good picture of the two different types.  http://smg.photobucket.com/user/budhayes3/media/100_0938.jpg.html

Blah. Looks like I have the square then. The wires I have are for the round and are to short.

The wires for the square are longer then my originals by a couple inches? Is that a issue with any type of timing? I don't know anything about spark plug wires and doesn't really say anything in my book.

No need to replace coils unless they are bad.... as they can last a long time and can get $$$$

FOr gettng old wires of plugs... un hook from coil first and try to ensure the boot will spin on the plug...
Plug boot pliers work well too..
BE prepared to damage them when removing..

Metal heat shields work best on stock wires... Ihave taylor wires and notice they are much harder to remove now and they do not have shields.

TO help in future apply plenty of dielectric grease to inside of boot prior to installing them again on both ends.

Boot pliers really help vs normal pliers or channel locks. On mine, grabbing the metal heat shield and wiggling/pulling. Have 6 of the 8 in. #1 is just behind some wiring. #8 is the tricky one. Looks like removing the bolt to the oil stick will help to reach it. Going to try it later when the engine cools down again.

Request assistance -

2003 Avalanche, 1500.

Want to replace my spark plug wires.   I gave the dealer parts department my VIN and they responded stating there are two (2) types:

One has Melco coil and is 10.5 in long. $130.38 and One has Delphi coil and is 9.2 in long   $115.06

I am on travel so cannot measure, nor am I sure how to measure.  See attached pics (I took before leaving on travel).

Appreciate any advice, and ideally GM part #s.  

TIA

Attachments

• untitled1.jpg
    untitled1.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 86
  • untitled2.jpg
    untitled2.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 85
Can you see the model numbers on the coil

From Rock auto

Attachments

• wire.GIF
    wire.GIF
    72.4 KB · Views: 71
MS03 2500 said:
Can you see the model numbers on the coil

When I took the pictures, I had looked (that's why you see the non-dusty areas.  I could not see any numbers.

MS03 2500 said:
From Rock auto

Thank you. When I get back in town, I will look again for numbers stamped. 

. I think you have the square coil

Attachments

• coil.GIF
    coil.GIF
    61.2 KB · Views: 69
MS03 2500 said:
. I think you have the square coil

Thanks, that pic helps/confirms for me. Placing an order now so parts are there when I get home.

Thank you to all. 

Mine is an '03 and has square coils.  My guess is you would have square coils as well requiring the longer wires.  I ended up getting larger MSD wires from Advance Auto.

Thank u to everyone for their help.  Yes, I had square coils. Got new AC Delco plug wires on Amazon for $60.

All went well. Did move the oil dip stick to make access to the rear diver side easier.

Thanks again.

Back