• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2004 oil pan torque question.

jesse75

First time posting. Be gentle.

2004 Chevy Avalanche LS. 2WD. 160,000

Have the Haynes manual. Trying to understand what is called what in this book to replace oil pan gasket.

from book

Oil pan baffle bolts - 106 in-lbs 
Oil pan drain plug  - 18
Oil pan rear access plugs 80 in-lbs

Oil pan bolts
  Step 1 (to engine and front cover) - 18
  Step 2 (to rear cover)        - 106 in-lbs
  Step 3 (bellhousing, converter cover and transmission bolts) - 37

I know where the bolts go, Just trying to figure out which is called what, and torque settings for each?
oilbolts.jpg

This help  ?

(400) Oil Pan
(401) Closeout Cover - Right
(402) Closeout Cover Bolt - Right
(403) Crankshaft Oil Deflector Nut
(425) Crankshaft Oil Deflector
(426) Oil Pan Gasket
(427) Oil Pan Baffle Bolt
(42:cool: Oil Pan Baffle
(429) Oil Pan Drain Plug O-Ring
(430) Oil Pan Drain Plug
(431) Closeout Cover - Left
(432) Closeout Cover Bolt - Left
(433) Oil Pan Cover Gasket
(434) Oil Pan Cover
(435) Oil Pan Cover Bolts
(436) Oil Filter Bypass Valve
(437) Oil Filter
(43:cool: Oil Filter Adapter
(439) Oil Pan Bolt

Attachments

• oilpan.png
    oilpan.png
    50.2 KB · Views: 63
Thank you that does help. Still confused on this part though. Any guidance for what this means?

Oil pan bolts
  Step 1 (to engine and front cover) - 18
  Step 2 (to rear cover)        - 106 in-lbs
  Step 3 (bellhousing, converter cover and transmission bolts) - 37

So half of the bolts at 18 ft-lbs and the other half is 106 in-ibs(8.8 ft-lbs?).

I got this from my manual

Tighten

Tighten the oil pan and oil pan-to-oil pan front cover bolts to 25 N?m (18 lb ft).
   Tighten the oil pan-to-rear cover bolts to 12 N?m (106 lb in).
   Tighten the bellhousing, converter cover, and transmission bolts/stud to 50 N?m (37 lb ft).

Edit: not sure if your manual mentioned to add sealant along with the gasket so here ya go

Attachments

• oilpan1.GIF
    oilpan1.GIF
    39.3 KB · Views: 56
From memory, and unable to see your pic jesse, there are 2 bolts to the rear cover that should be torqued to 106 in-lbs and the rest that are securing the oil pan should be the 18 ft-lbs bolts.

It says the same.

In the image. 439 is oil pan bolts.

Then 401/402, 431/432 Are the closeout cover and bolts (plastic covers that cover the flywheel and starter.

434/435 oil cover bolts are in the back. I didn't have to touch these. Just hold a little port cover on.

So 439 is the 12 bolts that go around the pan. Just still confused as to what I'm supposed to tighten to what specs. two different torque settings for all 12 bolts? all the same?

I'm just guessing...

So the two bolts that go in the back to hold the transmission to oil pan would be 37 ft lb?
Tighten the bellhousing, converter cover, and transmission bolts/stud to 50 N?m (37 lb ft).

The 12 bolts that hold the oil pan up 18 ft lb?
Tighten the oil pan and oil pan-to-oil pan front cover bolts to 25 N?m (18 lb ft).

I can only guess these is for the plastic covers for the starter and flywheel in the back. 106 in lb?
Tighten the oil pan-to-rear cover bolts to 12 N?m (106 lb in)

What manual or site do you have? Yours is much more detailed then this Haynes book.

Try www.jessenobles.com/dl/images
should see oilbolts.jpg to download.

It's a factory service manual I bought from Helminc.com a couple of years ago but they don't seem to sell them any longer. They just sell the paper ones.

jesse75 said:
So 439 is the 12 bolts that go around the pan. Just still confused as to what I'm supposed to tighten to what specs. two different torque settings for all 12 bolts? all the same?

I'm just guessing...

So the two bolts that go in the back to hold the transmission to oil pan would be 37 ft lb?

The 12 bolts that hold the oil pan up 18 ft lb?

I can only guess these is for the plastic covers for the starter and flywheel in the back. 106 in lb?
Tighten the oil pan-to-rear cover bolts to 12 N?m (106 lb in)

Looking at this picture, you will have two of the long #453 bolts, one is shown, the other will be obvious looking from the other side of the pan.  Those are your 106 in-lb bolts.  All of the others that are going up to secure the pan to the bottom of the engine are your 18 ft-lb bolts.

By the way, I've broken one of those 453 bolts before - didn't seem to cause any problems running for years without it...

Attachments

• 689213d1344526018-project-dookeys-revenge-valve-oil-pressure-relief.jpg
    689213d1344526018-project-dookeys-revenge-valve-oil-pressure-relief.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 46
Thank you. Makes sense now. My book says about the sealer in corners, but not much more. I see your illustration. So I'll see if I can figure it out tomorrow when I lay the gasket on there. Thank you very much for your help.

Back