• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

JET 20010 Stage 1 Power Control Module -- Installed

DerekVS

Just a quick review of this device.  It took less than 10 minutes to install.

OK, I've been complaining endlessly about my Avalanche's gutless engine performance since buying it earlier this year.  Not only was the engine gutless, but the transmission shifted way too soon, keeping it from ever producing any decent torque.

I checked out all of the programmers and other performance options out there and decided to go with the Jet PCM.  I read mixed reviews on it, but most people thought it delivered as advertised, so I took a chance and ordered one from Amazon for $220 new.

Well, I can safely say that it was the best bang for the buck that I have ever spent on any vehicle I've ever owned.  Not only did it modify the shift points to no longer shift too soon, but it has immediate accelerator response when I hit the pedal.  I'm not saying it's race ready or anything like that, but this is the way I EXPECT a truck to perform when new and unmodified.  It sucks that Chevy would choke out performance on an engine that obviously can produce a lot more with the right computer modifications.

Seriously, I felt like I was driving a 6-cylinder for the first few months that I owned this thing.  I had to practically floor it just to keep up with traffic after a stop.  Now, I barely hit it and it just goes!  On top of the better performance, it seems to start easier and run more smoothly at cruise and idle.

Negatives:  Only two that I found.  First, the ECU cover no longer fits so you have to leave it exposed in the engine compartment.  Second, you need to use 91 octane fuel to get the extra power out of the tune.  I calculated that to be about an extra $15 per tank at current (2015) prices.  So, it's like making $15 per tank payments on top of the cost of the device.  Personally, I feel that the performance increase is easily worth that, if not more -- just listing it as a negative since many people want to stay with 87 octane.

So, anyway, I just wanted to pass this on to anyone who is also as irritated as I was with the performance of the stock 5.3 in an Avalanche.

-Derek

I had quite similar results after getting a BB Performance tune.  Anyone thinking about getting an engine tune or one of these programmers just go ahead and do it!!!

Did this disable the AFM?  I have an 09 AV with Volant CAI and Dry Powercore filter with the SLP Tailpipe(stock resonator removed)
I really liked the feel at first but there is alot of bog now , especially when I am going up a steep hill. It seems like I have to almost keep it floored or the truck just bogs. Still has more pep than before the CAI but not nearly what I think it should be.. Any advice ??

Install40 said:
Did this disable the AFM?  I have an 09 AV with Volant CAI and Dry Powercore filter with the SLP Tailpipe(stock resonator removed)
I really liked the feel at first but there is alot of bog now , especially when I am going up a steep hill. It seems like I have to almost keep it floored or the truck just bogs. Still has more pep than before the CAI but not nearly what I think it should be.. Any advice ??

Not sure Jet makes one for the later models (I don?t recall seeing it when I was looking for a tuner).  But there are a few others out there, or you can get a mail order tune through places like the aforementioned Black Bear.  I have the Diablosport, and I like it.  I'm running the Airaid Jr. and SLP tailpipe as well.  I had the AFM turned off during tuning, but I've since reactivated it.

Seems weird that you have to keep it floored to keep it from bogging.  Makes we wonder if you have a problem.  Maybe try cleaning your MAF, and Throttle Body (can't hurt).

I actually installed a new (GM) TBA at the same time I installed the CAI.  It was AWESOME for the first few weeks and now it seems like the power is only there when the truck is basically moving at a decent speed.Don't get me wrong , it still had giddy up (and alot) but not off the line or at slow speeds... It definitely still has that hesitation again and I have no clue what could be the problem. It only has 47k on it.....  Not sure if this is even the right place for this post but any help would be appreciated greatly before I need to take to the dealer  :E:

thanks in advance !

Back