• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Blower resistor?

uconnjack

Hi, I drove out from CT to MI for the holiday weekend, and on the way the heater blower started to work erratically.  Sometimes wouldn't blow, sometimes would blow fine, sometimes fade in and out, regardless of setting. Now, while planning on leaving first thing tomorrow morning, it doesn't seem to want to work at all with 30 deg temps expected on the drive home.  I have a 2008 with auto climate controls. 

I suspect it's the blower motor, but since I have a little over an hour before stores close to pick one up and install, I figured I'd reach out and ask what others who might be online think before I buy the part in case someone thinks it's something else (whole motor)?

If your blower works fine on highest setting then it is not likely the resistor pack. (Not sure if different on auto system)

I had a similar issue with my truck (2003) and it ended up being the plastic fan cage broke. More or less the shaft housing became totally round. The shaft is D shaped and has a clip in the end to hold it in place. I was able to remove mine and replace just the cage for less than $20. Took about an hour to swap out. If your truck is like the first gen trucks the fan is very easy to get to. I had to remove 3 screws to get the cover to drop down then the fan had 3 screws. One of which if I remember correctly is shared with the resistor so I ended up dropping the resistor too but wasn't necessary although it did seem to make it easier to access the other screws. One of the easiest repairs I have had to make on any vehicle.

Back