• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Leaking tonneau cover

SMcD

I know this has probably been addressed before....but please bear with me.

My tonneau cover had a minor leak. Wanting to do the right thing, I removed the weatherstripping and discovered that the previous nitwit owner, had used plumbing putty as a sealant! It was quite a chore removing it but I got it all done. I re-did them with automotive silicone sealant sealant, let it set up for two days and re-installed them. Last night, we had a heavy rain, and it leaks worse than before!!!

I had never done anything like this before, and have very good intentions, but admittedly am very lacking in mechanical skills. It seemed like a pretty simple job, which is why I attempted this job I the first place. Now I have to re-do it. Can anyone offer me some advice on how I can do it right? Snow will be flying soon here!

Thanks in advance....

There's allot to the "Water Management System". It will never be water proof but should keep most out and work as designed.

The gap at the tailgate and panel 3 should be 1"-1/8" (28mm), and the gaps between panels 3-2. 2-1 should be 5/16" (8mm).

The advice I always give to help know and maintain the "Water Management System" on the AV's and EXT's is to get GM's service procedure on it. Just go to ebay and do a search for "Avalanche & EXT water management" and you will find a training booklet that helps troubleshoot water in the cargo area, some even have a DVD and are usually $10 - $20 bucks, well worth the cost IMO..

Good luck

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XAvalanche+water+management.TRS0&_nkw=Avalanche+water+management&_sacat=0

Thanks Randy! I ordered that manual as you suggested.

I also took it all apart and re-did it. I have a feeling I was not using enough silicone, trying to be neat. I laid a big ole bead down this time, and am giving it an extra day or so to set up.

Watch for one that has the DVD with it. It's better when you can see them pulling it apart and what's under the seals, how it's all put together and allot more than the booklet covers. They give a real good description of how the whole thing is designed to work..

Back