• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Cruise Control Not Working. :)

Relic1882

I read as many forum posts as I could find on the issue but I wanted to check again with someone about my cruise control not working.

I recently bought a 2002 Avalanche 1500. When I turn on the cruise control on the blinker switch, I can hear the module that is on the firewall under the hood click. All of my brake lights are working, including the center overhead one, and when I do turn on the cruise control the light on the dash board does not come on. I am leading to believe that it is the brake light switch behind the brake pedal. I was reading that it has 2 connections in it. One for the brake lights and one for the cruise control circuit.

Is there anything else that I can check before I buy and install the switch? It's only 11 dollars at Autozone so I'm going to do it anyway, but I wanted to ask. I figure the module is working because I can hear it click on.

Check for stored engine codes....

I think if some of them are in memory it willnot let cruise come on....

but I may be wrong..

PS welcome to club

Do you have aftermarket LED taillights?  If so, it is known that the LEDs will mess with the cruise control as well.

Little wire in the steering column , yellow I think, there are several threads on the repair, and its a DIY'er project, after you throw 11 bucks at it, lets hope it fixes it, but if not, I'd check the wire going down the steering column.  JMO

Didit

Ok so I replaced the brake light switch yesterday and still no cruise.  :E:

I hear the module under the hood click when I move the switch to the on position.
I also hear it click after a small delay when I put the switch back to off.
When it is on, the cruise light does not come on in the instrument panel if I push the set button.
I am trying it at more than 30 MPH.
All tail lights and brake lights, including the overhead center, work properly. They are not LED.

If I check the engine codes, can that be done at AutoZone? I know they test engines for free. But there are no check engine lights on.

What yellow wire are you referring to? I'll take a look while I'm under there today but I never found anything about that fix. What does the wire do and where does it go?

Thanks for the responses guys.

Auto Zone can check for stored codes.

Ok I mispoke, ugh, lol its hell to get old, lol.  the "tow haul button" fix is the wire in the column, however if that wire can break because of misplacement I would imagine the cruise wire could also, they are all bundled together going down the steering column.

Didit

Went to AutoZone after work this morning. No codes whatsoever. At least I have peace of mind. I bought a tear down manual too. I just realized my volt meter is dead so when I get another battery I'll do the voltage testing that the manual describes. Other than that I am stumped. It's gotta be the module or the switch on the steering column.

Well if you ever narrow it down, please let us know!

Didit

I just noticed something new. Couldn't tell you why I didn't see it before. I must be blind. When I bought the truck there was a trailer brake controller already installed under the dash. I'm not sure how old it is but it looks just like this one --> http://www.motoparthub.com/47235_HOPKINS_Brake_Control_Impulse?src=Google&gclid=CMTuyY69oskCFQsWHwod2e8EIA

It has one of those connectors coming off of it that is spliced into one of the wires on my harness going to the brake light switch. Could this interfere with the Cruise? The thing doesn't have anything lit up on it at all. I've never had or used one so I'm not sure if it's supposed to light up or not without a trailer attached to the rear. Can anyone inform me?

Ok scratch that. Apparently the brake controller wiring harness wasn't even plugged into the box it is supposed to go to in the first place. I thought that the wire was coming from the controller too, but I can't tell where it goes. At some point though, somebody spliced a green wire with a white stripe into the brake light switch white wire. It makes no sense to me because I would think that it would be spliced into the wire that is already a green wire with a white stripe on the brake switch anyway. I don't know where any of it goes so for now I think it's best not to move it around. However I did try to completely disconnect the green/white wire that was spliced into it, but still no cruise.

Back