• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

heated seat smells

chevyfan204

:help:hi everyone, hope you're all doing well.
sorry if this has already been posted if. I'm having a problem with the drivers seat heater in my 10 ltz , when i turn on the heater for the seat it smells like the smoke got out of the electronics (fried electronic component) the same smell as when the blower fan resister burns up.
has anyone else had this issue?  I'll be attempting some diagnostics today and will post my findings (if any) i hate trouble shooting vehicle electrical/electronics
thanks

I am not surprised you are smelling something burning.

Here is a picture of my driver's side seat back heater element pad that I have replaced.

Notice the burned area along the top of the element pad.

This area was burnt to a crisp.

Here is a link to a troubleshooting video from The Seat Shop to help you with your troubleshooting.

Thanks, I'm hoping thats my problem.  Do you or does anyone know if a carbon fiber heat pad upgrade will cure this problem from happening again? I don't want to put the same problem back into the vehicle.

I used the Dorman replacement heating element pads and have yet to have one burst into flames.

But only time will tell, I suppose.

They have been getting quite a bit of use here lately.

The ones I took out looked to be the factory originals and were close to ten years old when I knew I had a problem.

If I get ten more years out of this truck, that would be nice and really saying something.

Seems good to me.

One small note, elsewhere in this forum this has all been discussed, however, it should be mentioned that when you get your replacements you will see there are some tape strips on one side and not the other.

Depending on which seat you are installing the element into, it MAY appear that your new element is not an exact match, due to the side the tape is installed on.

When installing the new element, just make sure the electrical pigtail connection in orientated EXACTLY as the element you removed.

There is no "left and right" heater element.

The sticky tape will always be on just one side, so it may appear you have the wrong replacement pad.

Not true.

The heating element pads ARE NOT directional.

Just put the new pad in the same way the old pad was and you are good to go.

The tape is not needed since the Velcro strips that attach your seat skins to the foam pad will make sure everything stays put.

Don't get confused with this.

It is not an issue at all.

Good luck!

(y)

I made a bonehead move when installing one of these in my seat this weekend. I realized after I'd already installed the seat back in the truck that I forgot to remove the tape strips from the heating pad.

Does anyone think this will cause me any issues?

bschumaker said:
I made a bonehead move when installing one of these in my seat this weekend. I realized after I'd already installed the seat back in the truck that I forgot to remove the tape strips from the heating pad.

Does anyone think this will cause me any issues?

None whatsoever.

Back