• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

TPMS problem

old skool

I've got the "Service Tire Pressure Monitor" reading on the dash with the right rear tire reading --. I tried to do the relearning process, but after releasing air from the left front tire to start the process, I never get the horn to honk. This problem started when I was driving on the freeway, and has happened before. In the past the message has always went away by itself. This first started happening when I got my 24 inch wheels.

Are the TPMS sensors the original from 2007?

It is possible the batteries are dying or have already died and the sensors are due to be replaced.

The batteries will not last forever and it may just be time to replace the sensors.

Don't know if they are the originals, but they are the same ones from when I bought the truck in 09. Would it be the one sensor with no reading causing the system not to relearn?

only good for about 6 years. So even if they are not origianl time to replace anyways. Need to do the same for mine.

old skool said:
Don't know if they are the originals, but they are the same ones from when I bought the truck in 09. Would it be the one sensor with no reading causing the system not to relearn?

First thing that comes to mind is it has been mentioned here in this forum that the second gen trucks need a scanner to do the relearn where the process of letting air out of the tires in a certain order after putting the system in relearn mode is a method used for the first gen trucks.

I can not confirm this for the second gen trucks as I have a first gen truck and the procedure you describe works for me.

So I would first confirm you are using the correct procedure to relearn your sensors for your truck, then proceed.

Secondly, I certainly can see where you would never be able to COMPLETE the relearn procedure if one or more of the sensors were bad.

The system would expect you to relearn each and every sensor during the relearn procedure since it would make no sense to just relearn one or two.

Low tire pressure light and "Service Tire Pressure Monitor" message went away after over a month, and is now reading pressures on all 4 tires.  ??? I almost went out and bought new sensors.

I have an 07 with the original tpms that still work fine. I would guess that the one sensor is not working. I can still relearn mine using using release of air method, no scanner required.

old skool said:
Low tire pressure light and "Service Tire Pressure Monitor" message went away after over a month, and is now reading pressures on all 4 tires.  ??? I almost went out and bought new sensors.

It will stop working again at some point, so don't get your hopes up about it "fixing itself" long term.  I just went through the same issue with my 08. Starting about 18 months ago, I first got the service message, w/ one sensor showing no reading,after a few days it went away, then 3-4 months later it happened again this time for about 3 weeks, then about 4 months ago it stopped working again and never came back on, each time it was the same one. I got sick of looking at the light and pressing the checkmark to dismiss the message and had to buy new ones.

I've had this problem off and on for the last almost 3 years. Highway speeds for a long period of time is what triggers it. Usually the warning light would go out after a short time. Then no more problems til the next highway trip. This time it stayed on longer than normal before it went out. Didn't have this problem til I moved the sensors to my 24 inch wheels. They used adapter bands when the sensors were installed.

Back