• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

iPod menu disappeared - 2013 Black Diamond LTZ

naylor99

Charter Member
PM 2013
PM 2012
Anyone else have this issue? I bought a new iPod when I go my AV. The touch screen would show an iPod menu when plugged in to the USB port. Been using it for years. Suddenly, it is gone. The iPod plays, but I have no ability to choose playlist or artist from the touchscreen. Manual control still works. Steering wheel controls still work (next song, volume).

I tried a USB stick, and it will play fine - but only in alphabetical order. Same as the HDD. I miss the control I had with the iPod. Anyone have this happen, and any ideas on how to fix it?

I dont even have a stock stereo unit anymore, but if I had to guess your issue is with the USB to ipod cable, these things are notoriously finicky, one of pins is probably floating, which is enough for your radio to think that your ipod is not there. Try a new cable.

Just an update on this; problem resolved. Took it to the dealer for a few other issues, and when I got it back the menu reappeared!  I'm guessing they flashed some new firmware, or just normal diagnostics triggered something. Weird, but the issue is no more.

Menu disappeared again.  :E: Tried disconnecting the battery. Tried reloading the iPod from scratch. Tried a new cable. Anyone else seeing this, or is it just me?

I was hoping to not hear about this. I know it is maddening as I've been having my love/hate relationships with Pioneer via CarPlay lately.

As you work with /GM on this, I suggest you contact Apple Support and mention this. You didn't state if you updated to iOS 10 or not or if this began afterwards.

iOS is now 10.0.2. I can't think for why iOS 9 would not still work unless the Flash from GM is mucked up now with the 2 different versions. Not likely, but it may hit someone's fancy to explore in places we do not have access to.

I don't recall iTunes ever showing up on my Pre 2013 Avalanches when I plugged the iPads into the port. Nor with the the 2013 before I changed out the head unit last January. Thinking about it now, it did not with the iPhone 6S Plus a year ago either.

Cat Dancer said:
I was hoping to not hear about this. I know it is maddening as I've been having my love/hate relationships with Pioneer via CarPlay lately.

As you work with /GM on this, I suggest you contact Apple Support and mention this. You didn't state if you updated to iOS 10 or not or if this began afterwards.

iOS is now 10.0.2. I can't think for why iOS 9 would not still work unless the Flash from GM is mucked up now with the 2 different versions. Not likely, but it may hit someone's fancy to explore in places we do not have access to.

I don't recall iTunes ever showing up on my Pre 2013 Avalanches when I plugged the iPads into the port. Nor with the the 2013 before I changed out the head unit last January. Thinking about it now, it did not with the iPhone 6S Plus a year ago either.

I did not update the iPod. It is on its current software version, and has been for quite a while. It WAS working correctly but stopped. I bought this one for the AV. My iPhone 7 now behaves the same way. When I originally plugged in my iPod (to the USB port in the console) the head unit display showed the current song/artist info, and had a menu button on the touchscreen. That allows you to choose a playlist, artist, etc. Without that menu button, it simply plays whatever is set to play. You can go to the next song & control volume with the steering wheel controls, but there's no way to pick new playlist or go to an artist, etc. It is great to have the iPod menu selections on the touch screen.

I'll take it in to the dealer and have them take a look.

Back