• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

truck stalls, and warning lights come on when i hit a bump,

renegade steve

I have a 2005 avalanche. I was driving down a dirt road and hit some bad wash board. The transmission went from drive to neutral, the door locks went off and back on, the ABS and brake lights came on. It felt like it was going to die out. I hit the gas little and it kept going, when I shut it off and restart it, the lights are off, but as soon as I drive and hit a bump it does the same thing. I drive down the road and it happens over and over.  Anyone know what might be loose to cause this? When it idles it's fine and no codes come up. I appreciate any help I can get on where to start. I finally picked up codes. One was u0107, the other p2020, throttle actuator control module, and injector #2 malfunction. Can anyone tell me where to and how to track the problem down. Thanks.

One word..... Grounds...

OR could be bad ignition switch that did not like the bumps.

I've checked the grounds, ignition, fuses and replaced the crankshaft position sensor. No codes come up on the scanner. But everytime I hit a bump it stalls,goes from drive to neutral and back, and the ABS, brake, and checkin engine light comes on. If I don't t give it gas, it will die. Any other ideas? I'm going crazy.

It sounds like the ignition circuit is opening or shorting.. The ignition switch is a known problem, they go bad. Especially if you have allot of keys/crap hanging form them. It wears the key and internals of the switch.

Try holding the ignition switch with your hand so it has some support going over a bump and see if that makes a difference..

There are also grounds under the dash and at the fuse box under the hood. There was a diagram of them put here in the past.

Good luck

I'd jack up the rear of the truck so that you can get under it with it in drive and start wiggling the cables going to the transmission and other areas with someone in the cab to monitor for issues.  There's a cable going to the external PN Safety Switch in the driver's side of the tranny and another going into the tranny on the passenger side.  May also want to wiggle the cables going to the antilock brake system.  Keep wiggling cables until you find one that causes issues.  If you have a 4x4 I'd also suggest either jacking it up so all 4 wheels are off the ground or remove the front driveshaft with just the rear wheels off the ground.  Don't want to get run over by your own truck - it's no fun at all if you live to tell about it...

Randy was right. A ground wire, passenger side, back of engine behind last cylinder. Also fixed my AC problem. Thanks for all the help. It's great to have a place like this to go for help. Saves a lot of money with a little elbow grease. Thanks again.

Glad to help.. You found it, just needed to pointed in the right direction..

Back