• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

What will I need to install a 6.0

armandodiaz

My Ave has 210K miles, uses 1qt per 1k and is tap dancing under the hood. I think its time for a replacement.

Since I'm always looking for more bang for my buck, I'm thinking on dropping in a 6.0L. Maybe one out of an Escalade EXT or a 2500? My question is besides the complete engine, what else will I need (ECU, wiring harness) or can I use what's already in there? Trying to avoid any surprises.

After getting the 6.0L, I still plan on rebuilding it. I am going to use it as an educational experience for my 15yr. In fact I'm using the whole truck as a learning experience for him..... upgraded the brakes to 2nd gen and rebuilt the suspension.

Thanks

Didn't you ask the same question a month ago.

PS 2500 do not have a 6.0

http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,148116.0.html

That was for a newer 6.2L

I'm thinking with a similar year, similar body style, 6.0L may be a more compatible fit.

Thanks

You can use the 6.0, but the EXT came with a stronger drivetrain.

Thanks,

Can I use the same ECU and harness?

Should I try and get a package deal with engine and tranny? Mine is a 2wd, not sure if the EXT came in 2WD.

Thanks

EXT is AWD.

You can use the same harness.  I just had a 6.0 longblock installed in my 03 and didn't have any problem with the harness or sensors going from the 5.3 to the 6.0.

If you hop it up with a hotter cam you may need to install larger fuel injectors.  Mine was supposed to be a reman 470 ft-lb, 460 hp engine and I put the 42 lb injectors (versus stock 24 lb) from the supercharged 5.3 into the 6.0 which it is liking just fine.

If you need larger injectors you will require a custom tune.  You may want one anyway to tweak idle and part-throttle shift points even if you don't need larger injectors.  Other than that the computer's learning capability should be able to adjust.

enoniam said:
You can use the same harness.  I just had a 6.0 longblock installed in my 03 and didn't have any problem with the harness or sensors going from the 5.3 to the 6.0.

If you hop it up with a hotter cam you may need to install larger fuel injectors.  Mine was supposed to be a reman 470 ft-lb, 460 hp engine and I put the 42 lb injectors (versus stock 24 lb) from the supercharged 5.3 into the 6.0 which it is liking just fine.

If you need larger injectors you will require a custom tune.  You may want one anyway to tweak idle and part-throttle shift points even if you don't need larger injectors.  Other than that the computer's learning capability should be able to adjust.

That helps a lot. Thanks

My plan is to get a complete junk yard engine, that should include the injectors, and do a stock rebuild.
I should be happy enough going from 285hp to 345hp, so I'm not really planning any mods to the stock engine. But I may still do the custom tune.

Thanks again.

enoniam said:

What kind of gas mileage do you get?

armandodiaz said:
That helps a lot. Thanks

My plan is to get a complete junk yard engine, that should include the injectors, and do a stock rebuild.
I should be happy enough going from 285hp to 345hp, so I'm not really planning any mods to the stock engine. But I may still do the custom tune.

Thanks again.

You are welcome.

I'm not sure of the 6.0's stock injector size but I assume they are larger than the 5.3.  If so you will need a custom tune because otherwise the computer is going to be assuming the 5.3's injector size.

Edit - I don't know where you are located, but if near me (southern Indiana) I could buy a license for your truck from HPTuners for $100 and do the tuning for you.

enoniam said:
You are welcome.

I'm not sure of the 6.0's stock injector size but I assume they are larger than the 5.3.  If so you will need a custom tune because otherwise the computer is going to be assuming the 5.3's injector size.

Edit - I don't know where you are located, but if near me (southern Indiana) I could buy a license for your truck from HPTuners for $100 and do the tuning for you.

That makes sense (with the custom tune). I live in South Florida.

Thanks

Willow LS said:
What kind of gas mileage do you get?

I'm getting around 14 mpg - mostly highway driving.  Would probably be better if I wasn't running a 3200 stall torque converter.

armandodiaz said:
That makes sense (with the custom tune). I live in South Florida.

Thanks

Pretty far away.  I haven't been to South Florida since taking a cruise out of Miami for our honeymoon 30 years ago...

enoniam said:
You are welcome.

Researching for my project--I'm doing the same thing, but using a Reman LQ9 crate motor.  I found out that the L59 flex-fuel motor has larger injectors than the factory LQ9s.  Only reason I can see for that is the E-85 ability needs larger injectors as alcohol is a lousy replacement for gas.  I have more of a tuning question on this, in that with the larger L59 5.3 flex-fuel motor injectors, will I still need to tell the computer to feed more fuel, or will it automatically compensate in its tuning of the motor as it runs?  I'm getting HP Tuners pro for this (been wanting to get it for a while, this seems like the time to bite the bullet) and will be able to play with it.

Back