• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Paint Sealier

Blackcomb

Living in the Midwest and owning a detail business I have learned a lot about how to protect the finish on a car. Aside from a good wash and regular wax one over looked aspect is paint seal. What is paint seal your asking, it is a coating that bonds to your paint and helps protect it from the elements, uv, acid rain, road filth, bird poop and the list goes on. It protects where waxes cannot.
I use a couple of different products and have found one everyone can buy at a decent price at my local Auto Zone. Turtle Wax has a poly pain seal that is easy to use and works. Now one key is to use a good quality synthetic wax after the seal has cured (24 hours). The reason to use synthetic wax is because carnauba wax has a cleaning effect that can and will remove the protective seal you have just applied.
Here is the process I use when I seal a car at the shop.
Wash the car with a good quality car soap.
Clay the entire car, including windows.
Buff the car to remove swirls and scuffs, preform any paint chip touch ups if customer wants that service.
Polish the paint after buffing.
Apply glaze if that's what customer wants for service.
Time to apply sealant.
After 24 hour cure apply synthetic wax.
I hope this was helpful.

I use the new Adam's polishes product, H2O guard and gloss. It is absolutely amazing. While the car is still wet and before you dry it off, you spray on the guard and gloss. It is water activated so that when you spray it on it reacts with the water and seals the paint and also aids somewhat in the drying process. After spraying it on, you take a damp microfiber towel and wipe down the panel. Then as a final step you take a dry microfiber towel and wipe off the remaining moisture. It is completely safe on all of the exterior of your car whether it be glass or trim or chrome. Its fantastic. I love it. I have yet to try Adams' paint sealant the you buff on, but I expect that it works very well if the spray on stuff works this well.

Just be aware spray on sealiers and glossifiers are generally a light duty seal and are effective for a couple of weeks at best and will not bond with the paint well enough to last through a wash. The type of sealant I am talking about bonds with the paint on a molecular level and lasts anywhere from 12 months to 5 years with proper care and application. Sometimes they are called nano-sealants. The company I get my supplies from sells their high end sealant for 200.00, 4 oz bottle. Takes 1.5 to 2 oz to do a car. That's why I thought I would try the Turtle Wax product for 20.00 and pass along the results and my process.

Back