• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

'06 sluggish compared to "03....CO altitude difference??

Lynch

I've been wondering this for a while...I have '06 1500 4wd & girlfriend has '03 1500 Z71, same 5.3 V8 in both, both have over 125k. Mine is much more sluggish off the start, why is that?? She hasn't done anything special to hers at all but it just has a different faster, lighter feel to it when accelerating, what gives?!

Mine was bought here in Colorado, hers was bought in Michigan, could mine have been tweaked somehow with different factory settings for higher altitude?? How can I get mine to be a little more zippy??!!

My guess is the gear ratios.

03s came with 3.73 or 4.10
06 you could get 3.42

Yes I would check gearing.
I also think the AVs had a learning part that would change shift points or something like that based on driving style. If you drove it gentle it drove sluggish for better economy and if you drove it aggressively it learned your style and accelerated quicker at expense of gas economy. I think there is an old thread about resetting your computer by disconnecting the battery and accelerating quickly three times. You may want to check out the tread for specific info though.
In addition to gearing to both Avs have same air cleaner, exhaust and tires?

Back