• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Heater Problem

kodyind

I have a 2005 Avalanche and I am having a heater problem, it seems it has a mind of its own, sometimes it will be working as it should and then it will start blowing cooler air not cold air but cooler and even if I turn up the heat it does not change and just today it was set at 72 and it was 75 out side and all of a sudden the heat came on and it kept basting hot air so does anyone have an idea what this could be

Jim

HI Jim check your coolant level, if it's low it will do this.

OK I'm a bit confused here so I'll ask a couple of questions

Is your problem the temperature or the fan speed.

I guessing you have the Auto AC with the temperature LED display.

It is the  temperature and yes I have the auto controls, like today i had it set on 73 and it was 74 outside and after about 20 mins all of a sudden the heat started blowing out like i had turned it up to 85

You did not happen to open a window before it started acting up.  ???

You can try resetting the HVAC controls.

Turn the system off first
   Pull the fuse labelled HVAC in the under hood fuse box wait 2 minutes and put it back in.

Ok I pulled the fuse, waited 2 mins and now it I cant get it out of defrost, the controls show it is on vent or the lower setting but it does not disengage from defrost

Did you turn it off first.

There was a recall for this a few years back. Sorry I don't have the recall number handy. The issue was moisture getting into the blower motor resistor and causing a minor short at the resistor wiring harness. The dealer tried to sell me a new harness for my 06 Z71 for about $100.00. I found it online for $19.00 plus shipping and installed myself. Don't know why but my VIN was not covered under the recall even though I had the exact problem(???).
The new harness fixed the problem for about a year and I had to install another one when the problem resurfaced in extreme cold temps. All seems ok now.

Back