• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

05 Nav Radio is not getting any power? Radio and amp fuses are good.

CoveredAV

My 2005 TNR (factory installed) suddenly shut off.

I key cycled the power, and it briefly came on again, and then zap, off.

A couple of key cycles later, in popped on briefly one more time, and hasn't come on since.

All fused, in both underhood (UBEC) and side of dash (LHEC) electrical centers have continuity.

I'd say the unit is faulty, but it appears that it is not getting power, period... and once it gets power, it works fine.

Is this a common type of failure?

You could check the plug to see if any pins backed out and check for constant power on that orange wire.

Well it took all this time to repair it.  And about five installs and uninstalls.

The culprit?  All those aftermarket interface harnesses and doo dads.

The EMI/RF choke module butt connector crimps were too large for the diameter wires they were "crimped" to.  The anti- noise choke assembly weighed 2 ounces (contained a coil and a capacitor on a mini board in a small black box), which was far too heavy for the mechanical wire attachment scheme.  I had to cut all four wires, strip eight ends, tie the strands together, solder, and then cover with dual layer glue lined heat shrink.

Then, the aftermarket interface harness connector bits are knock offs, and not quite precisely the same dimensionally as their Delphi / Packard equivalents which they purport to emulate.  The did not insert all the way into the back of the radio easily.  They failed a wiggle test.  Got that all worked out.  Sort of.

At least I know the Nav Radio isn't bricked.  There is no way I'm going to add the AOEM-GM24 to the back of this radio amidst all the other mess.  The GM24 is going to have to go behind the amp under the center console.

What is a anti- noise choke assembly. ???

MS03 2500 said:
What is a anti- noise choke assembly. ???

If it is uncovered it looks like a doughnut shaped magnet. Your wire is wrapped around and through the ring and it is supposed to suppress noise by absorbing most any DC based noise...

Not normally seen in a vehicle... Maybe a different design but same idea...

But this is a good example of how Crimp connectors should never be used in a vehicle.. They will eventually fail...

Rodney

No Rodney, my noise suppressor device was not a simple ferrite choke like you describe.

It was as I described... a printed circuit board with a capacitor and a copper coil assembly and a few other small components soldered on the board... all encased in a small black box with two leads entering one end, and two leads exiting the other end.

It was a purpose built noise suppressor assembly that came with the interface cable I purchased in order to be able to play an iPod WITHOUT using any part of the XM radio band.  I should have photographed it, but now it is stuffed back in the dashboard that I hope never to ever see again.

CoveredAV I would not pay much attention to him, or else he will continue to post. JMHO

MS03 2500 said:
CoveredAV I would not pay much attention to him, or else he will continue to post. JMHO

Now, I remember why I lost interest in this site - just like many of the others.

A few controlling members offering so many humble opinions.  Makes a reasonable individual want to vomit.  Get a life.

There are better places on the internet to post technical questions, observations, & solutions.

Sorry you are right. For some reason I missed you mentioning the box etc... But same idea.. Just different packaging.

Responding just for you MS...

Back