• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Bed panels making noise!

Jims07Tahoe

Seems like my bed panels make creaking noise under low speed and going obey uneven surfaces. Anyone have a fix for this? Thanks

You sure it's coming from the panels and not the rear window? On occasion during temp changes I have to release the window and then latch it back into place to make the creaking noise go away. Just a thought...

At right around 30mph, I get a resonance of sorts or some sort of feedback from behind me. I think it is coming from the passenger half but it is hard to tell exactly where.  It sounds like a small pump running, but only at that specific speed range.  Like above, I'm thinking maybe its coming from the rear glass resonating and vibrating against the rest of the midgate and/or body of the truck.   Having someone drive me around at those speeds is one of the lower priority things I'll do when I remember to do so.  I'm not worried or even too annoyed- just curious more than anything. Hope your issue is as benign as mine seems to be, OP.  

I use an old phone and ziptie it near where the noise is coming from and record it on video. It's helped me a couple times.

ca2kjet said:
You sure it's coming from the panels and not the rear window? On occasion during temp changes I have to release the window and then latch it back into place to make the creaking noise go away. Just a thought...

I will give it a try!

ca2kjet said:

You are right. It's the rear glass! I removed the window and took for a ride and no creeping noise. Reinstalled the window and most of it went away. Seems to me that the window latches don't put enough pressure on the frame. Is there an adjustment for that?

I'm not aware of any  adjustments as far as tightening the latches. I've always wondered if using some kind of electrical contact grease would help where the latches contact the window. I figure it's the nature of the beast, moisture, temps, expansion/contraction, lots of moving/movable parts. I just to try to keep everything clean as far as the contacts, the window frame and rubber seals.

ca2kjet said:
I'm not aware of any  adjustments as far as tightening the latches. I've always wondered if using some kind of electrical contact grease would help where the latches contact the window. I figure it's the nature of the beast, moisture, temps, expansion/contraction, lots of moving/movable parts. I just to try to keep everything clean as far as the contacts, the window frame and rubber seals.

I was thinking about putting something between the contact and the latch to snug it up a bit... only problem is that the defrost will not work. that would not bother me as much as the noise does.

Clean the rubber seals and apply the milky type protectant to lubricate them.

this will help greatly.

Back