• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Replacing brake pads on 07+

WhoAteMySoup

I have around 72K on my truck now and am starting to feel like my brakes are not performing as well as they used to. I would like to change my front brake pads for sure, but was wondering about a few other things:
1. Should the rear brake pads be replaced as well?
2. What is the recommended maintenance period for rotors?
3. What is a good aftermarket brake pad for our trucks? I am not looking for a loud race brake, just wondering if there is anything close to stock reliability and better performance.

I personally would never replace pads without replacing the rotor. Raybestos r300 seems to be a excellent rotor.

Ok, I might just do that. How about the brake pads, any particular one you would recommend?

Brakes are usually done when the pads have little or no friction material left.  Typically they have sensors that will start squealing like a stuck pig when at the end of their life.  Like MS03 said, replace the rotors also if you want good performance and quiet brakes.  Use ceramic pads if you don't like black brake dust all over your rims.  Rear brakes typically last longer then fronts (possibly twice as long).

Not on my AV, the rears wear out twice as fast.

I say replace with OEM. I know aftermarket there are some nice options, but if your OEM parts lasted 75k and 8+ years you would think to replace them with the same parts right?

Same here. My rears go out way faster. I have had my current set on for about a year or so and they have a lot left on it. The rotors have a slight lip on the back and theyre fine on the front. But soon I am going to be getting a set of cross drilled and slotted rotors from him that have maybe 10k miles on them because it is a SEMA truck and he is getting new brakes for this years show. I will get his rotors and then get them turned. Then I will just get new ceramic pads and bleed the brakes. May even swap in a set of stainless brake lines to get better feel to stop my massive tires. I would be going with crown performance lines. Just would have to make sure I have the brakes are bled really really well. Which is okay with me. So that is my brake upgrade. Should be doing that in the next few months while getting new tires at the end of the month and then saving for the cam swap.

09chevyavy said:
But soon I am going to be getting a set of cross drilled and slotted rotors from him that have maybe 10k miles on them because it is a SEMA truck and he is getting new brakes for this years show. I will get his rotors and then get them turned.

I was under the impression that you can't turn drilled or slotted rotors???

You could probably have the lip turned off the drilled/slotted but not the pad mating surface that sweeps over the holes and slots.

Braided brake lines are a nice improvement if you want to enhance your braking experience.  (y)

Back