• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Cold Air Intake Question

DOGZ

Put on a K&N Blackhawk cold air intake a few weeks back. Noticed better throttle response & shifting seemed smoother right off the bat. Bout 300 miles after installation it seems I'm now back to the sluggish throttle response, not as crisp and stock shifting (for lack of better words). Is it just me (the newness wore off ) or could the computer be doing some computer magic and tweaked things based on 300 miles of driving with the cold air intake?

Cold air intakes have an affect on the Mass Airflow Sensor's readings, and some intakes have a larger affect than others.  Among other things, the Mass Airflow readings affect spark advance and fueling.  The spark advance won't change much after 300 miles but the Long Term Fuel Trims will be adjusted as the computer "learns".  The Mass Airflow sensor is used for the majority of the airflow-based calculations by the computer, but the computer does use a Volumetric Efficiency table during transient events such as reacting to throttle changes and shifting.  The table is shifted up and down as a whole by the computer to try to correlate the table with what the mass airflow sensor is reporting.  This is another "learned" item that could be affecting your throttle response and shifting.

Sounds like your vehicle would respond well to some GOOD custom tuning.

Ok so I disconnected the negative battery cable (like step 1 of the instructions said too  :D ) broke the T bolt & nut had to get a new one  :E: what a junk design. Hook negative cable back up and now have the throttle response & shifting like when first installed. Step 1 of the instructions said this would erase the presets. Will the computer keep how it is now crisp throttle & shifting because the battery was disconnected or re-learn and go back to the factory setting after so many miles like before?

I'm pretty sure it is going to learn once again and start acting the way you don't want it to.

Sort of like my granddaughter learning some new words in kindergarden...  :rolleyes:

I kinda figured that was gonna be the answer.

now to find someone in the cincinnati area to do some tuning.

OK - reason I asked is that I've got a tuning license for all 2003 AVs and am only a few hours from Cincinnati - was planning on being on the south side of Dayton next weekend.

Back