• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2003 2500 - Stops Running After Getting Warm/Hot

Chaos67731

So. My truck has had problems starting the past week.  The RPM's jump high and then dip really low.  A few times it has stalled out and today for about an hour it would not even start.

I have looked and asked around and people say it should be my fuel pressure regulator.  All the videos I see online make it look like this thing is a easy fix and at $50 for the part. Well worth it.  

However , I am having a problem getting it off.  Every video and image show its held on with a clip, however it looks like the one in my truck is held in some kind of hosing body.

Any pointers on getting this thing out?

This is all the was sold to me from AutoZone.

-------------
Reason For Edit:  I had "fuel pressure regulator ?" in the title and after changing the fuel pressure regulator on my truck, I am sure it not the problem.  So I think I would get a few more eyes on it, if I were to state what the problem is .

My 03 had the  C clip AKA lock ring, but I used a removal tool to get it off.

It is best to check your fuel pressure first, before you throw parts at it.

spin_prod_206673501

Hard to tell with out a picture.

It's one of two, a C-clip or retaining clip that slides over once it's in place.

It is a C clip, you can throw that other piece away. Make sure you relieve the fuel pressure before you try to get it off.

Attachments

• fuelreg.png
    fuelreg.png
    11.6 KB · Views: 119
Good call on throw parts at it. . . I got it changed and the truck still wont start.

Thanks for the image, I managed to get it - however the truck still wont start. 

Chaos67731 said:
Good call on throw parts at it. . . I got it changed and the truck still wont start.

You may want to change the fuel filter also.

I just had the full filter and pump changed about two months ago.. any other ideas on what it could be?  After it is running, it seems to be running fine.

It could be a couple of things, first get a fuel pressure tester so we are sure it is not that.

And just to be sure you know the filter is on the fuel line on the frame right. ?

After that maybe have the codes read, is the check engine light on.

MS03 2500 said:
It could be a couple of things, first get a fuel pressure tester so we are sure it is not that.

And just to be sure you know the filter is on the fuel line on the frame right. ?

After that maybe have the codes read, is the check engine light on.

I have a obd2 bluetooth plug and a app to scan it, but there is no check light on.

I did not know where the filter was, just know I had them change it at the time my pump went bad.

It's going to have to have a mechanic look at it, but if the fuel pressure is OK then look at things like a crankshaft position sensor.

MS03 2500 said:
It's going to have to have a mechanic look at it, but if the fuel pressure is OK then look at things like a crankshaft position sensor.

I am going to have a mechanic come over and look at it, I hope tomorrow. I was able to get it started. . . by letting it sit there for about an hour and then it fired right up.

It seems that after I run it and it gets nice and warm. . . it wants to cool down before starting again.

Let us know what he says, maybe we can give him a idea if he is not familiar with these motors.

Yeah check the crank sensor.

I'm sure the av is totally different than my 93 chevy with a 5.7 but had similar problem. I started swapping the fuel filter, nadda then I changed the cap and rotor, all was well for a couple days then it wouldn't start at all. Turned out to be the ignition module, took my old one down to Oriellys and it tested bad.

How erratic are the rpms?

Also try running with the gas cap off to insure it is not a plugged vent solenoid. If your gas tank releases a bunch of pressure when you remove the cap it is likely an emissions issue.

If your emissions are not working correctly the tank doesn't vent and the fuel pump will try pulling a vacuum which doesn't happen...

You can also have a component going bad that only shows up when it is hot.

If the open gas cap doesn't do it then you need someone with a reader that knows what they are looking for to see what is causing your issue. Ie take to a mechanic for diagnostics...

Rodney

How about an idle air control valve?  If it's passage is plugged you will have very similar trouble....problems starting and keeping it running.  Engine RPM jump high and really low could be the IAC.

After changing out my fuel pressure regulator I have noticed that the RPM's no longer jump really high and dip really low at startup. 

---

However , this seems not to be my main problem.  I did not notice it until the other day when my truck would not start after running it for some time.  So I had to walk home. . . and then back to my truck..  The total time I was gone was about 20 mins, and I remembered reading something about the "Passlock Security" being a problem for people.

So, when I got back to work - I stopped my truck and shut it down -> Stayed in the truck -> Locked the doors with key fob-> Put keys back in the truck and tried starting it.

This ended up being the same starting problem I had before. I never noticed the little car with the lock on my dashboard before.  but I am willing to bet I would of over looked it.

After 10 min, my truck started just fine.

---

It sucks that it does not happen often, so I have no real was to know... Is there a test I can do to see if the Passlock Security system is at fault ?

You need a dealer with a tech2 to test the security system.

So if the security light is on when it does not start that could be your problem, keep us updated.

Back