• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Converted trailer over to disc breaks

CORVETTEC3

I converted my car trailer over to disc breaks & I have a 2011 LTZ with the factory trailer hook up. The disc breaks require 12V+ in the plug on the e terminal.  GM does not hook up this wire , it can be found under the master cyl wrapped up in black tape & attaches to the empty terminal  in front of the engine fuse block . You will need as #6 metric bolt. Thought I would pass this on as it's not east to find info on this. It is listed in the 785 page electrical manual on one page
Alan (y)

Also found that elect over hydraulic disc breaks will not work with factory installed trailer controller in late model GM trucks. You will need to get part # T4846000 from e trailer or put some magnets in parallel. Hook on wire to the blue wire & the other to the ground (white) rigth before the elect/hyd unit.

I also found out that if you have a factory installed trailer controller the Avalanche will apply the trailer breaks if it detects excessive rear sway at the hitch. This should never happen if you are hooked up correctly, but it's a nice feature for someone new to towing & makes an honest mistake.
Alan :wave:

Back