• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Rear End/Towing Question

corvette-racer

'03 Avalanche 1500.  According to my owners manual, I can tow 7100 lbs with the 3.43 and 8100 lbs with the 3.73.  I have a 3.43, and I just purchased a 6500 lb travel trailer and I am struggling.  Can I just swap the ring and pinion?  Will that help? 

I'm not showing any 03 AV having 3.43 gears only 3.73 and 4.10

But yes you can change the ring and pinion but you have to have it programmed for the new gear ratio.

Attachments

• towing.GIF
    towing.GIF
    82.6 KB · Views: 128
By struggling do you mean all the time (even at cruise) or just at acceleration? Do you have 2wd or 4wd? When you change gearing you may need recalibration for odometer and speedometer. Of course gear change is cheapest mod but you might want to look at a Magnacharger supercharger to give you the torque you need for towing.
If you don't have one already you might want to add a transmission oil cooler. Also if you are needing brakes you may want to look at the thread talking about converting the old first generation AV bakes to second generation brakes as an upgrade.
Are you using the tow/haul mode on your AV? I find that is helpful when loaded by changing the shift points and the AV seems to accelerate better and not search for a gear.

You are correct.  I must have gotten that info from another source.  So should I switch to 4.10?  I know it will run the RPM higher, but right now, even with the tow button engaged, it constantly changes gears on a flat interstate.

I will be adding a Hayden plate cooler this weekend.     

I would yes, is the AV 2wd or 4wd?

You state that your trailer weighs 6500 lbs, have you weighed it fully loaded? I've found that the everything but the kitchen sink quickly adds up, also to prevent shifting up and down I tow in 3rd gear and it prevents most of the up-shifting, being in Colorado the hills outnumber the flats by a huge margin.

My 03 had the 4.10s and I still hated towing or 4400 lbs hybrid. Especially here in hilly central NY.

I had issues with mine constantly searching for a gear at highway speeds. It wasnt the rear end . The tcc solenoid was allowing oil blowby in the trans.  So it lost pressure and would shift back and forth around 55-65 . Solenoid was like 30 bucks and easy to change out. Just drop pan . May want to inspect trans symptoms first before thinking it is another issue.

Back