• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

LH Passenger window problems... at wit's end! Help!

malibuchick78

I have a 2002 Avalanche the 1500 model Z66.  One day I forgot to roll my windows up and it started pouring down.. well... it got a little wet (not horriblebut enough to towel dry off the arm rest on the door and a little on the seat.  Well drove to town and suddenly my window went down.. with no buttons being hit.  Took a few tries from the drivers seat... finally got it up.  30 minutes later... it went down again (on its own again) and it has never come back up.  I have changed the motor out, and just tried the LH Passenger switch also.  Window still doesn't move.  Ready to pull my hair out.

When I put the new motor in it made a sound like it was going to work and then nothing.  I did hear a click when I hit the button after i put it in.  Now a new switch, and I still just get a little click, nothing else.  Would it be the LH driver door main window switches that could have the bad switch?  all 3 other windows are working just fine.  Any help is appreciated, as I cant afford to keep buying parts that will not fix this issue.  But my plastic window went out of style the first day I had it on.  :help:  Thanks!

You need to proof read your message.. Doesn't make much sense...

Are you saying your rear drivers side window is acting up?

Are you also saying you tried swapping the switch from the other rear door?

What if you try swapping the other switch to the other rear door?

The drivers side switch panel is the master switch panel. It controls the other doors windows.

They communicate via the vehicles databus to communicate what to do. This allows OnStar to control your windows and locks if you have it.

Trying to sort out what you have going on...

It is possible that one of your switches got wet and needs to be dried out.. Either the door in question or the master controler in the drivers door.

Rodney

Left Rear window, correct? doesn't really matter which one unless you're ordering parts.

You changed only the motor or did you change the window motor/regulator assembly?

I've got left and right front to replace again, it's almost always the regulator cable is bound up or snapped. When the cable is bound up the window will often rise slow before the cable binds up completely or snaps, that usually happens in the down position and you get the dreaded click.

If you did change the motor/regulator assembly it's possible you got a bad one? 

It is the LH Rear window.
I have replaced the window motor.
I have replaced the LH Rear door switch.

Still not working.  All 3 other windows work just fine.

The possibility that the switches got wet happened almost a month ago, so they have been dry for awhile.

So yes, I was wondering if the problem is in the Master switch... on the driver door.  Should that be my next replacement?

This is what I would do.  Check for power at the motor when you push the switch.  If there is power, the switch is prob good.  Next, check if the motor runs when not installed.  If so, it is prob the regulator.  If that doesn't do it; you need to follow the wires and make sure they are transmitting power and properly grounded.

The Master control on the drivers door is not just a simple switch. I suspect your issue is elsewhere but will take some troubleshooting and sorry to say not just changing parts. If you don't know how to use a volt meter you may be better off having a friend help you or dropping it off at a dealer for diagnosis... ($$$$)

You really need to test the motor to see if you are getting any voltage to it.

Chances are good if your drivers door is able to open/close all of the other windows and you can move the switch in the back but doesn't do anything to the window your issue is still with the back door assembly.

I say this because your switch in the rear door is talking to the master control switch in the front door and it is just a computer on a databus. IF it were the drivers door module acting up you wouldn't have use of any of your windows...

You need to look at a wire diagram and check that you are getting all of your voltages at the rear door. Do the lights in the switch light up when you have your headlights on?

Because all of your other windows work fine I suspect it is something in that door wiring... I would suggest following the wire from the door into the body of the truck and look for wires that are broken or have signs of rubbing on them.

Rodney

Thanks!  I got touching some of the wires ect... just to see if something was loose or something and just for kicks I swapped my window switches.  My original switch to the other rear door which was working fine. It worked.  I then took the switch from that door and put it on the problem door.  and IT WORKED.. No more plastic window! lol.  Guessing something was loose. praying it stays that way! Glad I did not have to spend any more money though. Spent $50 on the 2 parts already but I am ok with that.

Now off to see what is causing my ABS & brake lights to come on and stay on at random times. With no symptons anywhere else.  Had my Avalanche for a year and love it though!

My driver seat power controls stopped working too.  After reviewing this web page, i checked the connection under the rear seat. It looked ok but i unplugging it, (inspected it), tested for power between big black and orange wirers (measuered 12V).  Replugged the connection,
... tested the seat and it worked :)
Seems to be a simple loose connection.  Thank you for all that posted....
Will try to post phote of connection (drivers seat connection under rear seat.

Back