• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

AC blower motor only works of setting 5 and drivers side hot / passenger cold

Shyman

2003 - Z71 252k miles (still have original tranny but not for long)
Hi folks - I have (1) a fan that will only blow on setting 5 and (2) the drivers side will all of the sudden stop blowing cold and start blowing hot but passenger side is cold. 

Problem 1 - is the switch bad or a relay?  How should I go about tracking down the culprit?  I don't mind fixing all the possible areas if just addressing the current issue might then set off a cascade of other failures.

problem 2- Ac blows hot on Drivers side.  I think its the motors inside the vents but have no idea how to fix.  Additional info is if I shut off truck and restart the problem goes away - sometimes just temporarily and sometimes for months.

I have replaced the stepper motors in my dash, installed blue LEDs, replaced all speakers and a widow motor so I'm not completely inept. How would a handy guy who is not a motor head fix?

Problem 1 is likely a blower motor resistor. Fairly easy to replace. Do a search for more info.

Problem 2 likely a blend door actuator. Not sure where the one is that controls drivers side temp... I believe it's just over the transmission tunnel though.

I assume you have the manual hvac controls? (Fan control 1-5 and 2 sliders for temp)

problem 1 - Fixed with DR775 but screw holes did not lineup.  I made it work.

Problem 2 - yes I have those exact controls, temp slider and fan 1-5.

Really have not found anything out on-line.  Any help greatly appreciated.

this help

Attachments

• manac.png
    manac.png
    26 KB · Views: 24
I believe that diagram is for the blower.  I can't tell where the different temp actuators are in the diagram if in fact it is correct.

I need to know where the drivers side temperature actuator motor is located.

This should give you a idea where it's at , try a search and I think you can find a few actual pictures of it.

(1) Mode Door
(2) Recirculation Actuator
(3) Recirculation door
(4) Air Temperature Actuator - Right
(5) HVAC Module Assembly
(6) Mode Actuator

Attachments

• rthvac.png
    rthvac.png
    88.5 KB · Views: 21
Back