• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

A/C Problem and only 2 years old

majorv

PM 2016
PM 2015
PM 2014
PM 2013
My Avy is a late 2012...didn't buy it new off the dealer lot until July 2013, so I've only been driving it 2 years.  I noticed on occasion that it would stop blowing cold air for a minute or so and then it would start back up.  Thought to myself that maybe it has a freon leak or something. 

Suddenly I get in the car last week and it is blowing nothing but hot air.  This is bad when you're driving in August heat around here.  I swung by my local car repair and they said it was the wiring going to the coil on the front of the compressor.  When they started moving the wiring harness around the compressor came on and it started blowing cold air.  They tried to secure the wiring and said if it goes out again I would need a new compressor.  :(

I've had no trouble with this car until now, but I wouldn't expect to have this problem this quickly.  Has anyone else had a similar problem?  The mechanic said this was a common problem  ???

How many miles on the clock, still under warranty?  If not, I would try and see the wire in question and just try to fix it the best you can, I can't see buying a new compressor, but then again.....possibly it just needs a new end, hard to tell without seeing it, also you might ask the dealer where you bought it at to take a look at it!    Good luck and let us know the outcome

Didit

Yours is the first post of this issue I can remember and I have been here a long time
so not all that common an issue to me.

IS it harness or is it the clutch?
If clutch they can be replaced so the compressor can stay. (well you use to be able to replace clutch)

or short in harness somewhere.

Just got my 2013 back from the dealer today.  It had a/c problem going from blowing cold then warming up and back to cold.  They found leaks in hoses.  Charge was supposed to be .7 something and mine was .4.  They replaced hoses, dryer and recharged.  All under warranty.  Only have 12k on it so far.

I have 56K on it so not a warranty item, unfortunately.  I asked why we couldn't just replace the front part with the wiring and he said the cost wouldn't be that much different...2-3 bolts vs 5-6 bolts to replace the whole unit.  He also said it was a little low on refrigerant, .3 .

Since the newer Avys take Dexos oil I have been going to the dealer for my oil changes.  It's cheaper than paying for a full synthetic oil change at the garage we use.  Anyway, I will need to do that soon so maybe I can get the dealer to look at it and give me a second opinion.  Thanks!

Back