• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Rear End Tail (Brake) Lights come on intermittently when parked.

Trafficman

PM 2012
SM 2010
SM 2008
SM 2007
SM 2005
My 2002 - 1500 Rear End Tail (Brake) Lights come on intermittently when parked.  I did not notice but a couple people have told me first told on August 1st then again yesterday.  I also noticed one time last week when I unlocked the truck the brake lights were on I smacked around the lights , the Trailer switch and then the trailer break control and they went off.  This may have been because of the intermittency of the problem because it was back this weekend so I was told.   Anyone have any ideas on what may cause this?   :help:

Trafficman said:
  Anyone have any ideas on what may cause this?   :help:

hmm my guess would be a short!  :laugh:  :laugh:

sorry couldn't help myself.  I had this problem on my 03 and finally tracked it down to the LED light  strip I had put on, you could just walk by mine and the brake lights would come on, soooo if you don't have any mods to the brake lights, I would check the junction box under the rear of the AV for corrosion and the like.  You mentioned the trailer brake controller, I would also check the wiring and make sure everything is tight,  Good Luck

Didit

Hmnmmm.  I have the sail panel LEDs and the Light bar strip on it.  I'll play with these a little bit more to see if I can get it to LIGHT up.

easiest thing is to unplug the light bar for a day or two, sail panel lights you would have to go into the tail light and snip a wire, the wires on the LOF are so small it didn't take much to wiggle it so to say, after I found out that was what it was, I was able to jiggle the wires at the end of the LOF and duplicate the problem, hopefully yours will be as easy!  Oh another thing that led me to the mods on my 03 was, I'd be going down the highway with the cruise on, and it would just cut out as if I had applied the brakes, hit a bump and jiggled the wires I guess.  Replaced the LOF and no more problems.

Didit

If that isn't it, also check the trailer plug for any corrosion in there.

any update on the trafficman, did you find out what was wrong?

Didit

Didit said:
any update on the trafficman, did you find out what was wrong?

Didit

My trailer Brake control box was the culprit.  It was jammed up into the dash making the connections in the back stressed!  :E:

Back