• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

TPMS Showing low on one tire

PerfectReign

SM 2013
PM 2012
SM 2011
SM 2010
SM 2009
Had all four tires replaced a few weeks ago.  On Wednesday, the TPMS started saying one tire was about 10 PSI low. I checked with two tire pressure readers and they both indicate the tire is the same PSI as the other three.

Could the sensor on that tire be bad?

As Michigan Silver would say have you checked the battery?    In this case though it would be the battery in the TPMS itself, when they put new tires on, did they learn the wheels to the DIC, make sure you are attacking the right one, they can be had on E-bay to save you a couple of bucks!

Didit

PerfectReign said:
Had all four tires replaced a few weeks ago.  On Wednesday, the TPMS started saying one tire was about 10 PSI low. I checked with two tire pressure readers and they both indicate the tire is the same PSI as the other three.

Could the sensor on that tire be bad?

Most likely is. Could be the sensor's battery is low. Could be the sensor, perhaps already marginal, was beat up a bit during the tire change. Your truck's been around long enough for the sensors to start going in any event. I'd just change it out. 

Thank you both! I had no idea the TPMS had batteries.

Annoying piece of equipment. Glad I don't have this on my Saturn or on my VW.

The sensors use a standard watch battery but however they are glued in and are not user serviceable. You HAVE to replace the whole sensor as a unit.

Around here when you replace tires they also want to rebuild the sensor. I say let them go until the battery dies or the tire starts leaking...

Rodney

Back