• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2011 2wd - Tranny operating temp

FlaAv

:help:

Does anyone know - or know where I can find the "normal" operating temperature for a 2011 2 wd avy transmission??

I just had my tranny replaced with a GM remanufactured (146K miles).

The original tranny ran very consistently at about 183 F

I noticed the remanufactured unit runs at about 185 highway and 193 stop and go.

Not a big difference - but the 10 degree difference caught me by surprise since I had not seen any difference with the original tranny.

Thanks

Anything under 200 and you should be ok.
There is a chart someone posted many times which shows a temp versus life thing.

X2 I don't think you have a problem give it time to breakin.

But to answer the question with the 6 speed normal is 68 to 266 F degrees according to the manual. The older 4 speed was 68 -230 F before you get the warning "Transmission Hot".

My old tranny ran 225 all the time. It finally died at 198k. My Jasper runs 145 on the interstate from Cali to New Orleans. Here in Cali I live in the Sierra Nevada foothills at about 2500 feet. I had an external tranny cooler installed when I had the tranny replaced. At 90 degrees plus I run 185-195 in Fresno in stop and go traffic. Climbing out of the valley home.  Have many long 8% grades. In normal mode I will hit between 195&210. If I use Tow/Haul I stay in the 170's. My engine temp never goes over 197, but I am running a dual core radiator. My mechanic told me if you ever hit 230 for a period of time to have your fluid changed. My advice is if you get around 220. Pull over and take a 1/2 hour break.

Thanks everyone.

GM says anything under 230 -

I agree - this is too hot.

so far its been fairly consistent - although its been quite warm here in Fla.

I'll keep an eye on it and see what happens.

If your truck does not have an aux trans cooler installed, you might consider looking into one.

Probably the single best thing you could do to ensure proper cooling for the transmission.

Fluid changes at every 50K miles or so can't hurt either.

But for my money, getting a trans cooler is good money spent.

My truck came with a cooler from the factory and my 4-speed trans temp runs about 90 degrees above the outside air temp, year round.

We were driving through Mobile, AL a couple of weeks ago in 95+ degree weather in mostly stop-then-go traffic for two hours straight.

My tranny temp was pegged at 195 degrees the whole way.

The only time I see it any higher is while towing my 25' party barge during the highest heat of the summer.

And then, maybe 210 degrees or less.

Remember your factory tranny cooler is in your radiator. So if you engine is running 195 your tranny will follow suit. That is why I installed a heavy duty external tranny cooler. It makes a difference when it is 120 outside and you have to climb 2500 feet in 19 miles. Also like I said before if you have a clutch fan use Tow/Haul when climbing grades. You will run higher RPM's but your tranny temp will drop.

Back