• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

A/C only blows Cold Air when the avalanche is moving.

Bigntall1

What could cause this?  My A/C is weak.  Once I get up to speed it blows very cold.  After a while I have to raise the temperature because it gets too cold.  but when I'm idling or start it and let it cool off I doesn't blow cold at all.  I've always had problems with the actuators that cause it to blow hot air but this is different.  I took the actuator out of the picture anyway by unplugging it this past spring.  I plug it back up in the summer. I have a replacement but it's too hard to get to so I haven't replaced it yet.  Unplugging it works for now.  But this doesn't help when the car isn't moving.  I was told that the fan may not be running right and not putting out enough air to the ac unit but I don't have any problems with overheating that I've noticed.  Trying to keep from taking it to an AC person.  But these Mississippi summers don't play and I need to do something.

If you have a fan clutch it needs to be changed, mine was doing the same thing and I changed it and even at idle it stays cold.    (y)

X2 on what ron said. I had the same problem and a new fan clutch fixed it.

OR convert to electricfans and get a bit better MPG too

My 02 never blew cold a/c at idle from day one. I switched to e-fans because of adding the Magnacharger and the biggest benefit was ice cold a/c at all times. My experience is even if the fan clutch is engaging you just don't get enough airflow across the a/c condenser to get really cold a/c when you are at idle.

Bigntall1 said:
Is this a difficult and costly process?
Check performance ENGINE section for many threads on this mod.

I haven't had a chance to provide an update until now but I put a new clutch fan on a few weeks back and it has solved the problem.  (y)
I can definitely tell the new fan is on because it's louder than the previous one.  But I'm already getting use to it.  Thanks for the help guys.  :wave:

That louder roar will diminish over time.

After a year, I could hardly tell anymore.

After I changed mine out, the a/c stayed cold at idle and the engine temp stayed in the normal range even in mid-summer stop-and-go traffic.

Win win!

(y)

EXT4ME said:
That louder roar will diminish over time.

After a year, I could hardly tell anymore.

After I changed mine out, the a/c stayed cold at idle and the engine temp stayed in the normal range even in mid-summer stop-and-go traffic.

Win win!

(y)

Yes I'm actually already use to the louder roar.  I'm just happy I can idle and stay cool.

Mine blows hot air when I first turn it on, so I assume this is my fan clutch?  It also seems like I am having a big power loss when the A/C is on, does this also have anything to do with the fan clutch?

If the fan clutch is the original on that 2004, I bet it is due to be changed.

The fan clutch is not going to pull down the engine power just because the a/c is switched on.

Something may be going on with the a/c compressor if it is really dragging down the engine when you turn it on.

For the most part, you shouldn't notice a huge difference since the computer should slightly bump up the engine idle whenever the a/c compressor in running to keep things smooth.

If the a/c is dragging things down as speed, I would imagine the a/c compressor is having issues.

Thank you very much for the insight!  Ill have to check on my compressor to make sure that ITS not the true problem, although, seems as if replacing my fan clutch should hurt anything either!

stevensmith2859 said:
..., seems as if replacing my fan clutch should hurt anything either!
Your wallet gets lighter.

Back