• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Engine Repair manuals?

tophyr

I've got an '07 5.3L with 110k and numerous problems, and I'm trying to figure out whether or not I want to trade it in or dig in and fix what's wrong with it.

The biggest problem I'm aware of is that the front-most driver side cylinder (I believe #1) is very unhealthy - I belieeeeeve this is due to piston slap and resultant ring blow-by, but I haven't ruled out oil getting in via valve guides or something else. This cylinder slowly but reliably (about once a year now) fouls its spark plug with oil and carbon buildup; and has ruined its catalytic converter as well due to the unburnt garbage it's spewing out.

I'd like to tear into the motor to actually see the cylinder, piston, and combustion chamber.. but I don't really wanna shell out $500 for the full factory service manual, nor do I wanna simply "take pictures as I go" and hope that as I'm putting it together I didn't miss anything (after all, torque values on engine components.. those aren't important, are they?) From what I can tell the Haynes/Chilton/etc type manuals don't go into actual engine teardowns, the deepest they go is bolt-on components like fuel rails, alternators, exhaust manifolds, etc. Is that correct? Are there any more specialized guides? I am pretty familiar with wrenching and have torn down many a sportbike engine.. but as highly-tuned and precise as those are, I hold no illusions about their complexity compared to a modern flex-fuel v4/v8 110,000-mile motor. I'm confident I can do the work as long as I take the time to do so and have the right instructions, but that latter part is what I'm worried about.

Are there any recommended publications out there that would be useful, or is the FSM it? I don't really need to know how to diagnose, repair and replace the passenger seat, the rear window's defroster, the axle bearings or every other little tiny part on the truck.. I'm just looking for diagrams and instructions that'll let me get the head off (and back on) so I can see how much damage I'm really looking at repairing if I decide not to trade this puppy in.

Do you want a manual in hand or will a on-line one do. 

Online would do; however I'm not looking to bootleg a copy of anything, I just wanna buy something that's in between "joe_modder6184 says this on the intarwebs" and "$400 for the official full six-volume FSM set"

You can get a 3 day use from AC Delco Techline for the Service Manuals I'm pretty sure you can print the pages that you need

MS03 2500 said:
Thought I would update this again another resource for GM service manuals.

It is well worth the 20 bucks for 3 day access if you are doing a major repair, it covers ever GM product from 1998 up.

http://www.acdelcotechconnect.com/shop-program/psc-program/gm-service-information/

MS03 2500 said:
You can get a 3 day use from AC Delco Techline for the Service Manuals I'm pretty sure you can print the pages that you need

Innnnnteresting, that sounds very worthwhile. Thanks!

fishntools said:
I took the $300.00 FSM plunge and it's the best AV investment I've made yet.

It's been my experience, the problem with the other resources/ publications (i.e. Chilton/ Hayes) is they only give ya enough info to get you in trouble, not get you out of any. Think about it, you want to dissect your ENGINE  :beating: using alternative resources???

Perhaps there are other club members in your area you could pool the resources to obtain them???

I just got rid of my 2004 AV FSM's and acquired the 2013 AV FSM, if you live in the Dallas/Plano area I'd be happy to let ya search through them for any info you may need. :wave:

I'm not, but thanks for the offer! Total +1 on the Chilton/Haynes only giving you enough info to get into trouble on jobs like this.

Back