• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Replacing OEM Muffler only

Dep921

My '02 has the stock exhaust system. With only 129K, the pipes still look great, unfortunately, the muffler isn't. Has anyone replaced a stock OEM muffler? If so, what did you replace it with? I measured as best I could and came up with 2 3/4 center inlet and 3" dual outlet. Are my measurements off? Any help is appreciated.

If you read in the exhaust section on this website you will get plenty of ideas on what to consider.
You might even find some member's takeoff factory muffler that would fit in the for sale section?

There are very many things to consider that only you have the answer, what type of budget do you have? How long do you plan to keep your AV or under what driving conditions do you deal with? (road salts etc.) Do you want factory quiet sound or do you want a louder exhaust? Are you or your family sensitive to interior drone?

Most muffler shops can just replace the muffler and leave the rest if in good shape. Some use cheap mufflers that rust in a couple years but many carry Flowmaster that comes in different sound levels. (The lower the number the louder it is so a Flowmaster 50 would be louder than a 60 and the 70 is close to stock sound.)
Other shops carry stainless steel mufflers that have lifetime warranties such as a Magnaflow or Corsa , they are more expensive but you will have some performance increase with NO Drone.

Flowmaster 40.
Just went to MIDAS and they cut out old and welded in new.
$100 out the door.

Back