• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Made some upgrades to the truck

generalpetres

Just replaced the stock crappy hitch receiver with a Curtis hitch receiver, got it for less than 200 shipped from autozone with their 20 percent off deal.  wasn't to hard to do, the cladding had to be pushed out of the way but everything fits snugly, this thing is defiantly a lot stronger than the stock hitch receiver.  i need to trim the classing under the bumper on the right side so its symmetrical with the left side other than that the hitch receiver is good to go.  i was going to go with the reese hitch receiver but i mainly use a 2in hitch ball and the fact curtis is rated heavier than the reese unit.  but the point is moot as this receiver wont be the first thing to go if anything does happen.  While i was installing the new receiver i also installed the hoppy 7 way plug into the rear bumper, no more bending the 7 way plug while offroading. 
339htt1.jpg

20150711_192956_zps4c3kpq79.jpg

20150711_165142_zpsazvuawgz.jpg

I had also installed new billstein 5100 shocks all around earlier in the week aswell as replaced the front warn out bump stops with some new urethane ones from gm. . I ordered new sway bar for the rear and one from the front from Hellwig, i went to isntall the rear but ran into an issue with the exhaust being in the way, when i had my flowmaster muffler installed the exhaust show has the new pipe that goes over the axle to far inward. so on monday i gotta goto the exhaust shop.
20150704_150253_zpswfpd8206.jpg

all in all i like the new curtis hitch receiver and hope to test it out soon.

Which Hellwig rear swaybar did you get. model number

Great mods..

That's why I haven't put a rear bar on mine yet, the exhaust is in the way and I'm trying to find one I can adapt to fit..

Actually the hellwig swaybar has one side that is offset to clear the exhaust

hel-7653_ml.jpg

They also make a Hellwig 7281 BIG WIG REAR SWAY BAR that thing will clear any exhaust and after market diff cover.

7281.JPG

Will that one fit on a 2500 AV? I looked at it before but it doesn't list to fit a AV or Suburban..

I wish I could see one at a shop to hold up and see if it work..

From my understanding it will fit, looking to upgrade mine so I can get diff cover.

But wait till I'll get mine

Will do.. With the U-Bolts and brackets around the axle it's probably almost universal on Chevy/GMC AV/Burb.

(y) Most of my suspension mods are from 2500 HD

Yea, allot of parts are swappable, H2 Hummer also.. My lift is for a 2500HD... Biggest difference is the frame from 2500HD

Just got finished installing the front sway bar from hellwig, which is part number 7654. the stock one is a joke compared to the hellwig in size and weight.  wasent to hard getting it on biggest pita was getting the swaybar to drop down enough to get the nut on the end.  The rear swaybar i purchased was the non adjustable one part number 7649.  I wasent paying attention when i ordered it otherwise i would have purchased the adjustable one i believe the part number was 7701. 

On my exhaust the only reason i cannot install the rear is on the original exhaust for the truck the exhaust tubing is outside the frame rail giving clearance and access to the frame and on the exhaust system i have on the truck now the tube is sitting right over the frame rail, going to take the truck to the exhaust show where i had the work done origionally and have them cut the tubing off and move it over which should give me enough clearance to get the swaybar installed.

Going to replace the a arm bushings as they are cracking and i believe to be the cause of the popping i get in the truck. only other mod i want to get down when i get back from vacation is replace the stock pivot arm support with one from super steer as my steering has a bit of play in it.

Looks like you are coming around well in making a tow monster. It will handle pretty well for a 7,000 pound brick with both those sway bars. Now if you add the pitman and ilder arm braces they will eliminate the wondering.

Can I suggest this to you instead of changing the a arm bushing change the entire arm with Moog Problem Solvers arms, they will give you 3 degrees more adjustment in case you decide to level it.

truck handles corners a lot better now, i got the rear sway bar installed, cut the tubing after the muffler  and installed the rear sway bar then had a new pipe welded on.  decided not to get a chrome exhaust tip as they are a pita to keep clean so i had him just bend the tube out. the only thing i didn't like about the kit was they didnt give the correct bolt to mount the z plates but a 2 min ride to the hardware store fixed that.

20150714_194216_zps9uwvigqr.jpg

20150714_194221_zpsnwex9k5r.jpg

20150715_155128_zps0kinbk0u.jpg

20150715_155254_zpszh7onbek.jpg

once i get back from camping i will be installing the front idler arm support kit and brace from super steer. part SS175k8 and SS125 which is the weld on support gusset.

SS175K8-2.jpg
if anyone is interested the cheapest i found this kit for was 342.

generalpetres said:
once i get back from camping i will be installing the front idler arm support kit and brace from super steer. part SS175k8 and SS125 which is the weld on support gusset.

SS175K8-2.jpg
if anyone is interested the cheapest i found this kit for was 342.

How does this Super Steer kit differ from a similar steering idler arm support kit by Cognito?

If you looks closely at the cognito site if actually says super steer on the idler arm support. They are the same kit.

Thanks for clarifying!  I'd have been upset to have bought one, without knowing about the other and having the chance to research and compare both.  It helps to know they are the same.

I've been threatening to add one of these for years, but haven't yet.  I did add the steering stabilizer (just a stock GM unit from a 2500HD pickup), but I still run stock 245s on stock PYO wheels.

There is a Store Henderson RV that sells them, when you go to their store it is actually Super Steer site 

http://www.hendersonslineup.com/

http://www.supersteerparts.com/

That where I got mine

i believe they are actually the cognito support kit, super steer just has it bundled together.  if you want it for a good price i ordered mine from https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Idler-and-Arm-Brace-Kit-Complete-Assembly-8-Lug-p/ss175k8.htm it was 342.69 and shipping. i havent installed it yet but plan to this weekend.  so far the swaybars are making a good difference, its flatter in turns now. wasent a big help when i was off roading last weekend but they made it through none the less. 

Are you guys welding these kits on yourselves?  Or taking them some place to have them welded?

My concern is that welding to the frame in the wrong way can make the frame ultimately weaker, where it needs to be strongest.  The Cognito bracket may hold the idler arm just fine, but the frame may crack at the heat affected zone.  That is the concern that has slowed me down from buying this kit.

Yes you should have it welded or you may snap the entire bracket off.  It has happened before.

The location that it is welded to the frame will not weaken it, only strengthen it.

Probably the easiest way to weld it on is with a Tig or stick welder, I used a Tig welder on mine. If you don't have one any 4x4 shop or welding shop can do it, it only takes about 10 minutes to weld it on. The pivot should be off while it's being welded on but can on just to tack it but should be removed for finale welding..

The hardest part is getting your head up under the front end with a welding helmet on lying on you back in the driveway, it would be helpful if it was on a lift.

Attachments

• 20150801_143334.jpg
    20150801_143334.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 189
you would only weaken the steal if you just sat there welding it for a long time allowing to much heat into the metal. acouple quick passes with a mig, tig or stick welder will have it installed in no time. i have a miller 110v mig welder which i will be using to weld my support onto the truck. still havent installed it yet as im going to have to order a set of wheel hubs for the front as the drivers side is starting to go out on me, so ill install all the upgrades in one shot.

Generalpetras... what is the part number to the new GM urethane bump stops you used?

Can you take a photo of them?  Are they the pointy design at the tip, or the rounded design at the tip?

My truck is a 2500 and the correct part numbers for the front control arm and leaf spring bushings are as follows.  Leaf spring bushings black 3.2141G and control arms are 3.3185G, i don't know what your referring to being pointy they are round cylinders with a larger diameter on one side to counter the control arms from moving forward or backward when driving.

Even though amazon will tell you these dont fit your 2500 truck they are the correct part, i looked the part numbers up in energy's catalog.

this is a picture of the control arm bushings.
30w8413.jpg

control arm bushings
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000N62B76?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

leaf spring bushings
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00165ZXZ0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

Last saturday i got some of the parts installed on my truck, installed the drivers side lower ball joint, lower control arm bushings and new hub still have to do the upper bushings on the driver side and all of the passenger side aswell as install the new idler arm kit and supports.

I think he was talking about these.

index.php

Back