• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2003 upgrade - need advice

marzahld

SM 2022
PM 2018
SM 2015
I have an '03 Z77 with Bose/XM/OnStar.  Looking to give it a modern facelift.  Was thinking of installing the following:

1) JVC KW-V31BT DVD/CD/USB Receiver with 6.1-inch WVGA Touch Panel Monitor HDMI Input and Built-in Bluetooth

Reason for this unit is that it has the HDMI/MHL interface to relay the navigation unit on your phone to the display--sounded interesting, anyone try this?

Also, I figure I will also need:
2) PAC RP5-GM11 Radio Replacement Interface With Built-In OnStar Retention/Steering Wheel Control Retention/Navigation Outputs for Select GM Class II Vehicles
and
3) Pyle PLCM18BC License Plate Camera with Distance Scale Line

I don't currently have my XM radio subscribed, but I'm hoping this combination allows me to preserve my ability to subscribe again?  Can any of my old XM parts be reused? or do I have to rip out the receiver module and replace with all aftermarket parts (i.e. SiriusXM SXV300V1 Tuner)

If it retains OnStar it should retain XM also because they come in same circuits.

BTW that radio Headunit is SiriusXM Radio Ready*7

Hey just a couple of things.

You know that the onstar in your truck is disabled?
2003 AV's had an analog onstar system they are now digital.

I have the alpine INA 900BT in my truck i have an 03 Z71 AV am looking to upgrade it to the new alpine ine-w957hd.
this unit has all the added things I put on my unit built in Bluetooth,  xm radio, hd radio, time correction and sound processing.
I have over $4000 in this and then they come out with this for only $1100.
with most units with DVD and ipod video playback they has a lock out on them so you cant watch video while in motion. they make an interlock to bypass that if thats something you want to do. I have the control to keep the buttons on the steering wheel however the controller in the back seat is disabled unless you get a module to use that but I know it is not a cheap module.

Best advice I can give you is take your time and get what you want. I went through a big ordeal in getting mine like I wanted it.
the first time I just wanted a new headunit and kept the Bose amp and speakers. It had terriable engine noise. I eventually removed all factory stereo equipment and put in all aftermarket. now it sounds great.  Now like most people im ready to upgrade again.

They offered a digital upgrade to onstar for the 2003s which i have, but if the upgrade was not done you are correct it's still analog.

I can't speak to the JVC unit, but I did upgrade my 05 with same features.

As far as the XM goes, you CANNOT reuse your XM tuner and have it controlled by the new head unit. I think some wiring adapters allow you to run it through the DIC in the dash. I personally decided to get a SiriusXM SV200 tuner. If the JVC is XM ready it will just plug in. You can re-use the stock XM antenna. Just takes a bit of disassembly but easy to do.

I also have HDMI and MHL on the unit. The cables themselves are not too expensive to connect my iPhone... However the app is. On the Kenwood I have you cant just display Apple maps or google maps. You need an app that supports external device displays. In my case, this means a $50 garmin app plus a $50 in app purchase for vehicle display.

After looking at it more it does need a XM module SXV200 is one you can use.

www.sonicelectronix.com/item_46876_SiriusXM-SXV200V1-SXV200-v1.html

Good to know that I can at least re-use the XM antenna as it is mounted to the exterior.  I had no idea my onstar was disabled, but I really don't care that much... lol..    The only time I used it was by hitting the buttons on accident and then panicking to stop it from calling them.

The HDMI/MHL stuff I would be trying to use from an Samsung galaxy s4.  I guess I should look into whether I will be needing to buy any special apps.  That is not mentioned in their ads of course... :cautious:

Anyone know the difference between using the PAC Audio interface vs the Metra Axxess stuff?  I have read that the PAC stuff works good, but the door chime module is annoying.

Back