• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

brake pads sure are fit tight!

Backwoodstracker

Is it just my 04 or are all Av brakes a very tight fit? I had a hard time getting the old pads out and the new pads in. They work just fine, I just feel that something might be wrong here. They sure as hell aren't going to rattle.

Backwoodstracker said:
Is it just my 04 or are all Av brakes a very tight fit? I had a hard time getting the old pads out and the new pads in. They work just fine, I just feel that something might be wrong here. They sure as hell aren't going to rattle.
Not uncommon to get wrong parts from the parts store, check to make sure that they are the right pads.  

Depending on where you bought them, you may have to grind off the inside of the "u" that runs on the sliders. Autozone pads are famous for that.

ohiobellboy said:
Depending on where you bought them, you may have to grind off the inside of the "u" that runs on the sliders. Autozone pads are famous for that.

X2 on this. I did my pads with Duralast CMax Gold from AZ and also helped my cousin with his Tahoe. He got parts from Napa I believe. I had to grind quite a bit on the pads for both trucks to get the pads to slide freely. And it's very important that they do slide!!! If they don't move easily, a pad can drag on the rotor and have many negative effects.

This is what they are talking about...

I've had to clean up/file most pads I've replace on mine over the years. Bendix, EBC Green stuff and Yellow stuff pads. The last ones I put on the front were the Hawk pads and they were perfect, didn't have to touch them..

Also make sure you clean or replace the guides (#11) and remove any rust and paint the caliper bracket (#1) where the guides go on it. Like Snyder80 said they have to slide freely or uneven pad wear will happen and/or worse poor braking performance..

Attachments

• Brake Hardware.png
    Brake Hardware.png
    71.5 KB · Views: 54
Looks like I will be taking them off today and putting my file to use. The old ones were just as tight both front and back Thanks guys.

Back