• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Alarm & Key Fob

Instananners

I have a 2002 Z71 Av and just recently my key bob had started malfunctioning. It would just not work from time to time and eventually stopped working completely. I thought it was the battery so I replaced it and it worked for a few days and then quit again. I remembered that I had received another key bob (Galaxy) with the security system I have with it. I have no clue what it has or anything, but I began to use it and it worked fine for about 12 hours, then I went to unlock it and as soon as I pressed the unlock button, the alarm began to sound. I pressed all I could and did all to try and stop but the only thing that worked was disconnecting the battery. I had someone connect it while I was in the truck but I had to get out again, so I pressed the manual unlock and the alarm sounded again. Repeat steps. I then noticed the speedo was past 100 just sitting idle. I took it down the road for a few minutes and after a mile or so, the speedo went back to normal. I then unlocked it manually and it worked just fine, the factory key bob still has trouble sometimes, it's working as I type this but I'm sure it will stop soon. I ordered a new one that should come in tomorrow and I will reprogram that. Any ideas to what happened? Thanks guys!

Maybe the key fob doesn't like being called BOB?  :laugh:

Has this trouble just started when the alarm system was added to your AV?  If so I would guess something wrong with wiring when hooking up alarm? I would suggest trying to disconnect aftermarket alarm and see if things clear up......

Good luck with your troubleshooting.

Vaeagleav said:
Maybe the key fob doesn't like being called BOB?  :laugh:

Has this trouble just started when the alarm system was added to your AV?  If so I would guess something wrong with wiring when hooking up alarm? I would suggest trying to disconnect aftermarket alarm and see if things clear up......

Good luck with your troubleshooting.

I didn't notice that I called it that until now? but I purchased this in 2014 and it already had the alarm system on it, but it didn't seem to work at the time of me purchasing it, but all of a sudden it worked and then caused all these problems. I could go to a place that knows a lot about these alarms and ask? I'm not entirely sure why it acted this way.

You may have to reprogram it.

Back