• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Dash Lights flicker need assistance

txavalanche2005

So I have a 2005 chevy avalanche z71 my dash lights flicker , go out when driving , exterior lights only dim when i roll up my windows Im usually really good with these kind of things just cant find the issue this time , any help would be great .  :help:

Change the alternator the diodes are going.  (y)

Is it just the lights on your cluster or all of the interior lighting? Also what is the power meter on your dash showing?

Not likely a bad alternator with just those issues... But could be your headlight switch assuming all of the dash lights and radio are flickering...

Rodney

just the cluster and radio , i haven't had the cab lights flicker or turn off on me yet.

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=3c11685715&view=fimg&th=14e0662e8b9a30f1&attid=0.1&disp=emb&attbid=ANGjdJ9egeTFb-NUQgB_CluhhtDk--2K0tupAuHmXsaHqvIVQUmu6C1l4q2XfRoFaNEB6_y23W0zgvDeeuUi6Mcj2mK1AAraXjubE9lII8PfFgwwkqTJd_PrscgiRfg&sz=s0-l75-ft&ats=1434626636407&rm=14e0662e8b9a30f1&zw&atsh=1

Are your head light flickering, If so than it's your alt., if not you might try to reset you dach cluster to see it you may have a bad connection.

P.S.  I got your email but not sure what you're showing me other than the oil gauge and that could be sending unit of the stepper motor in the cluster.      (y)

First headlights may dim when you roll up or down windows specially when they hit the end of stroke.
Not a big deal as the alternaotr will catch it and pick the voltage back up.
but if they stay DIMMED the entire time you roll down your window that is something different and you need to get alterantor checked,

For dash lights you could have badcluster if it is not related to anything.
Pull it out and reset like stated above.

If that does not fix I would take out and examine circuit board as it can get issues like burnt circuits.

Since the cluster and radio are doing it if you have no other lights flickering on your truck I suspect it is your headlight switch.. Try moving the brightness dial up and down and see if it makes a difference.

Rodney

when the lights go out on the cluster or start to flicker Ive been using the light knob to turn the lights back on or get them to stop flickering some times it works and sometimes it doesn't , i think im gonna have to take the dash off again and look at the electrical wires and see if im getting a short somewhere behind the dash , 2nd times a charm i suppose.

txavalanche2005 said:
when the lights go out on the cluster or start to flicker Ive been using the light knob to turn the lights back on or get them to stop flickering some times it works and sometimes it doesn't , i think im gonna have to take the dash off again and look at the electrical wires and see if im getting a short somewhere behind the dash , 2nd times a charm i suppose.
I think what you just said points to what RedHeadedRod is saying.

Yup sounds like the headlight switch for sure... I believe the brightness adjustment is a simple potentiometer and potentiometers are generally prone to failure. You have to replace the whole switch as a unit however. It is VERY simple though.

Rodney

potentiometer, alright than ill get right on it , lets see what happens thanks guys ill let yall know what happens .

so.... I dont know what a potentiometer looks like . ive been searching the web but its not being helpful. any suggestions

Replace the headlight switch. The adjustment is part of the switch and is not something you can replace on its own.

potentiometer at autozone 500.00 , so right now I've taken off the dash cover and trying to get the headlight switch out and see what im looking at .

http://m.autozone.com/autozone-mobile/en/parts/2005-Chevrolet-Avalanche-1500-4WD/Headlight-Switch/_/N-jn0paZ37x3kr?searchtext=Headlight+switch&showymme=true

Duralast brand headlight switch for $61.99

You can also look at www.rockauto.com

They had 2 different brands for $37.99 plus shipping

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=3c11685715&view=fimg&th=14e0ddd401daea49&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=1504446173490970624-local0&safe=1&attbid=ANGjdJ8H_bKLOPNnlFEjmfKD3Qap_yab-JRLZeu8jzQvOufdwlg8gc6yM6U6TAmz9MsGFzKD1SkM5x5XAi1Hsage_cmIdUfFrujdJm8KLsldgbMvU4BNm0I1q9f6_Jk&ats=1434751738128&rm=14e0ddd401daea49&zw&sz=w1237-h737
this is the part i need to replace ?

txavalanche2005 said:
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=3c11685715&view=fimg&th=14e0ddd401daea49&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=1504446173490970624-local0&safe=1&attbid=ANGjdJ8H_bKLOPNnlFEjmfKD3Qap_yab-JRLZeu8jzQvOufdwlg8gc6yM6U6TAmz9MsGFzKD1SkM5x5XAi1Hsage_cmIdUfFrujdJm8KLsldgbMvU4BNm0I1q9f6_Jk&ats=1434751738128&rm=14e0ddd401daea49&zw&sz=w1237-h737
this is the part i need to replace ?
Your links don't work.

txavalanche2005 said:
sorry dont know how to fix that problem yet .
Because your links are to your Personal GOOGLE EMAIL account which means we have to be you to see them.

This is what you need...

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1002869&cc=1430977&jnid=539&jpid=0

$38 plus shipping.

If you look at the switch you can see it just pops out and the wires go in the rear and are likely clipped in.

Rodney

Back