• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Y-pipe question

AVArookie

Hello, I have a mild built 6.0 in my 2003 Avalanche. I have a Magnaflow 3" single pipe SS cat-back system, stock exhaust manifolds. I want to delete my cats, but don't know if the aftermarket world has a true bolt in system that will do what I want. Anyone know of such a y-pipe?

There are y-pipes with high flow cats available. There is no performance gain in removing them, they are there to help keep the air clean so please do not remove them for your health and ours. Very few if any, on this site will tell you it's okay to remove them..

So your boat in your signature is pollution friendly as well? LOL. It's not for performance as you are thinking, mine are getting plugged, with the latest tune it shows the flow rate is down because of the cats. New cam coming soon, so power levels will increase as well. So, might as well get rid of them, or just gut them out.

I believe pacesetter makes an off road y pipe. I would do longtube headers as well.

AVArookie said:
So your boat in your signature is pollution friendly as well? LOL. It's not for performance as you are thinking, mine are getting plugged, with the latest tune it shows the flow rate is down because of the cats. New cam coming soon, so power levels will increase as well. So, might as well get rid of them, or just gut them out.

If my boat came with them then they would remain, unlike your AV and it's against Federal law to remove them and drive on the road..

Shortydog,
Thanks for the reply.

Randy,
So you are saying that you never do anything to break the law ever, not even once in your life now? You better check the laws again, I'm not going to do the work for you seeing how you won't let this settle. Or is it that you pick and choose when you want to do the right thing? The right thing would be to put a "legal" exhaust on your boat so...., how did you say it? Oh yeah, "they are there to help keep the air clean so please do not remove them for your health and ours." Randy please do the right thing for your health and ours.....

I used to be on the job and do know the specifics of the law pertaining to what you are referring to. I guess sometimes ignorance is bliss....

Don't try to put this on me..

My boat is legal and is not on the driven on the road. It sees less than 1 percent of what I drive my AV. By your thinking everyone that owns a pre 74 vehicle or one that came with out cats should put them on it or their breaking the law.

You can do what you want with you rig, I just asked you nicely to PLEASE not do it, there is no performance gain.

Check the laws as I said, and then you will know for sure, not just your opinion on what you think is legal.

It doesn't matter if it's on the road or not, pollution is pollution. I could care less if a car has cats or not, you are the one who jumped in with you comment about "save our lives". As I said, it's not a mod to make it faster, please re read and try to understand what is written.

And please leave the post alone, unless you can stick to the topic. I do believe it pertains to a y-pipe, not saving the world.

Aright guys,... a catalytic converter does not make the engine run clean, there are cars and trucks on the road with many miles on them that have never had converters on them and will pass emission laws set to today's standards and it all comes down to keeping it tuned and properly adjusted. Yes the law says that we can't remove them and if I were to do that I sure would not put it on the internet even in a site that most don't visit for you just have to type remove converters and google will find all.

This is a site for people to come and get help and have comeratery with like minded, let's all remember that and enjoy.  (y)

Agreed...
I just don't understand why the unknowing seem to think they know what they are talking about and refuse to listen to those that do. My cats are getting plugged with 185,000 miles of run time. The latest test runs show that I am at 110% of the injectors, and my exhaust flow is restricted at the cats. So, I have new injectors that will keep up, and need to solve the exhaust flow issue. I have a few options, just wanted to see what others with our specific vehicles were doing.

Last time I chime in... Your not worth my time..

Talk about the misinformed... Anybody who thinks that a catalytic converter does not reduce emissions had better go back to school.

Randy said:
Last time I chime in... Your not worth my time..

Talk about the misinformed... Anybody who thinks that a catalytic converter does not reduce emissions had better go back to school.
Obviously you missed the point.  :E:

Ok, so I gutted the cats, got the flow back to where it is supposed to be. We did a final tune, everything is happy. The only issue I have is the drone that come as a result. It comes in at about 2,000 rpm's, for most it would be a non-issue, but for me it just won't do. So, now I am looking for either a aftermarket system, or the sort that will flow good and keep the drone at a minimum. If I have to I will go back to stock y-pipe, I have no issue with it, mine was just getting plugged up after 185,000 miles, that was the only reason for gutting them to begin with. Gutting them was a cheap resolution to see if it would improve the flow as needed, now that I got a positive read, it's time to silence the drone.

Anyone know of a system that will achieve my goals, that has personal knowledge of what they recommend?

I did some more research and found that many others prefer the Magnaflow Y-Pipe with cats (part # 93419). That is great for me, because I already have the Magnaflow cat-back installed when I swapped to the 6.0. So, now all but the manifolds will be Magnaflow, full stainless, direct bolt in. I did see a post or two about it being a bit louder than stock, if that is true, I will be a happy camper! My current set up is just short of running glass packs at certain mph and rpm's. I'll report back next week (for others who may want to know) when  it arrives and I get it installed.

Yes, I cut out a almost full rectangle, leaving about a half inch of metal, it acts like a hinge. When you go to weld it shut, it will hold the "flap" in place for you. I used a die grinder with a cut of wheel. Be sure to wear long sleeves, gloves, and a mask of some sort, there will be a debris cloud everywhere. Once you get it open, use a chisel and hammer to break it apart. Be sure to blow out your exhaust before welding, don't forget to disconnect the cat back exhaust, and o2 sensors before you start this project.I left my y-pipe hanging, no need to drop the crossmember, unless you want to take the pipe completely down. Good luck post back if you have any questions, remember, it will make you exhaust VERY LOUD!

Got the Magnaflow Y-pipe installed yesterday. It was a simple, direct bolt in, no mods needed. Had to drop the trans cross-member, that was it. The kit came with all hardware and gaskets. The truck is almost as quiet as stock! You can tell there is some sort of exhaust work done. I have the y-pipe and cat back system now from Magnaflow. I couldn't be happier, there does not seem to be any power loss either. We'll put it on the tuner soon to double check, but I can tell you it still runs as good as it did before the new y-pipe.

I was gona cut it off at the pipe but thats a good idea.
I may drop the pipe and cut the topside so from the bottom it looks stock.
This is of course for off road use only.
any service engine soon light problem with no cats

the way the cats are positioned, making it look like it was never done may be a little difficult. As far as lights, yes, you may get the down stream o2's because of the range they are supposed to see, and now they will not.

Back