• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

8.1L dipstick check

X_Indian

I'm having trouble getting an accurate reading on my 8.1's dipstick. Every time I go to check the oil level, the stick comes up looking like it's over filled and it's stressing me out. I've read so much that this engine can burn 1-2q between oil changes & I'm not seeing any change.  The truck is new to me & I had my mechanic go over every inch when I replaced the transfer case, everything came back great.

When I pull the stick out to check the level, there's considerable accumulation of oil for a good inch above the hash lines. My oil pressure reads right around 40 or a bit lower. The DIC says oil life is 70% 

Any ideas? Or am I the dipstick?

Maybe it is overfilled which is bad.

do an oil change and put in amount of oil manual says crankcase holds. but 1 quart less.
Then check dipstick. and top off as required to get to full line.

Or if you think someone messed with dipstick... get a new one quick.

Also make sure the engine is warm and the truck is level when you check it.

Pull the dip stick out and wipe it off, then push it all the way end pull it back out and see what it reads.

I have found that if I do it three times I get a better reading.    (y)

It's sometimes hard to read after driving and oil has been thrown up the dipstick tube and takes awhile to settle. So when you pull it out and wipe it off, put it back and pull it out again it picks up oil that's in the tube. 

But there's a few ways I check mine..

1. Look at the holes in the dipstick marked in 1/4 of a quart increments 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and Full. If they are blocked with oil, then it's at or above that level. If your getting gas then fill up first and check it last, the oil will have more time to settle.

2. If you have been driving and it's warm then let it sit for half an hour and then pull it out and read it with out wiping it  off. You should be able to get a reading. You can't do this at the gas station well filling up.

3. Check it when cold before you start. All the oil will have settled and when you first pull it out there will be a clean level line. It should be checked warm but this will be close.

Reading Randy's post reminded me of something I was taught while taking small aircraft pilot lessons many years ago.

Two of the pre-flight checks on the small two-seater airplane we were using involved checking the oil and fuel levels.

The fuel level was verified using a graduated wooden stick that was inserted down into the open fuel tank.

Fuel gages were not to be trusted 100%, so we were to always manually check these levels before each flight.

It was made very clear to me that to get a precise reading, you were to insert the stick slowly, just until the stick touched the bottom of the tank, then immediately remove the stick and check the level.

I was told if I placed the stick into the tank too fast, the fuel could splash up onto the measuring stick, giving a reading that might be slightly higher than it actually was.

Also, if the stick was allowed to sit in the fuel for several seconds longer than prescribed, the fuel would tend to crawl up the stick to a slightly higher level.

The same principles were applied to the oil dipstick on the engine.

While the oil level of the engine was always maintained at a full level, the amount of gas in the plane was only enough to safely provide what we would need for our flight that day.

A lot of extra gas equals a lot of extra weight and is not a good thing in a plane.

But I digress.

I still to this day tend to apply those methods whether I am checking the oil in a vehicle or a lawn mower.

Cold engine, sitting level, pull the dipstick and wipe it clean then insert the dipstick to it's seat without jamming it in.

Then immediately pull the stick and check the level.

Works for me.

You guys are great  (y)! Those tips and reminders were very helpful. As every vehicle tends to have a slight learning curve, I've not been patient enough with the Av. This is vehicle #27 for me and the recommended take-it-slow approach reminds me of my 83 GMC S-15 2.8.

The oil level is fine, apparently nothing (that I can tell) has burned off. I was just rushing and not using the right conditions. It takes awhile to fill up the tank (seems to be my only down time lately), and I thought for sure the oil would settle down enough to check, but not the case.

The calmer holiday weekend allowed me the time to properly check the level & put my fears, that it's been over filled and I ruined something, at ease.

Third time slow did the trick & my gravel driveway isn't at level as I thought.

Lesson learned!

EXT4ME, when I told my wife your suggestion from experience with planes, she echoed having to do the same technique on her father's plane when she was younger. Good habit to have!

Thanks again everyone.  :wave:

Back