• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Clunking when accelerating from stop under driver's side floor area -?

RevRichmond

Anyone else figure out what it is?  Sounds like a loose suspension bolt. Worn-out sway bar, perhaps? How'd ya find it (I pulled the wheel and tried in vain to recreate and locate the problem) .... then how'd ya fix it?

body mount bolt

Tightened the body mount bolt, though it didn't seem loose. Seemed like it helped a little, but it's hard to really tell since the sound isn't constant or very pronounced.... -??

I havnt examined the drive shaft, but will, though I doubt that's the problem.  Brakes are fine, far as I can tell.

Thanks for the help, guys.

When I had this issue it was the U-joint on the drive shaft. The shop told me that the base u-joint for the truck is really weak but maybe they were trying to upsell me I dunno.

If you get clicking more when you turn it could be the front axles.

Rodney

Mine was a sway bar link pin that snapped. You need to use a crow bar the see if link pin broke unless the bottom part broke off, then you can see the stud and nut are missing.

Thanks guys. Doesn't seem to be the driveline.

I'll check the sway bar assemble soon as I can.

I really do appreciate all the help.

You may want to check the motor mount. My driver's side motor mount is bad, but I feel it when accelerating, more than hear it.
Put the truck in drive, foot hard on the brake, and press the accelerator to see if the motor has any unusual movement. You can repeat the process in reverse to compare mounts to see if one moves more than the other. A buddy can watch the motor move, or you can hang out of the window to watch. (Just don't run your buddy over, or crash through your garage wall...)

Check your front sway bar end links. My right side had a one inch play from worn out bushings. I replaced both sides and the clunk went away.

Back